+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scariest Drives (not ff)

Talking

Ever try a Wal-Mart parking lot? I tell ya, that's danger... lol

About 10 miles from my house is "Suicide Hill". It's Iowa Hill Road and right after it crosses the North Fork of the American River it gets insane quick. It's a 2 lane road that's barely wider than one lane. It's on the side of the mountain and it drops right down to the river AND has no railing at all.

Add into that about 5 seriously tight (and blind) hairpin turns and it's pretty insane.

It's also steep so on the downhill trip you've got to use engine compression because people have burned out brakes trying to slow down.

edit: I found this photo of one of the hairpin turns. Blind and steep, but at least it's not on one of those drop offs.
    Last edited by DruLeeParsec; 04-19-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Dang DruLeeParsec , that don't look like fun at all...

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jburge View Post
    Highway 50, from Utah state line to Nevada state line... on a bicycle.

John
    ON A Bicycle?????
    wow I used to live in ELY which is on the end of this road, never drove it in the winter, took a uhall van over it in the summer. I have driven far worse in the summer, I was never desperate enough to drive it in the winter. But doing it on a bicycle, wow.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Eric-WD, yeah, well, I was kinda nuts then. Matter of fact it was a straight through trip, in my preparation for a race. Non-stop ride with support following me the whole way. Awesome road at 2:00 in the morning

And DruLeeParsec, you are in my neck of the woods! I'd rather do Iowa Hill on my bike (which I've done plenty of times) than in a car. Uphill is a monster, and wait 'til you have a front tire go flat as you're coming downhill. It was an exciting day! BTW, have you fished downstream from the bridge? I've caught some feisty 'bows down there.
    Last edited by jburge; 04-19-2009 at 11:04 PM.

I have driven some really scary roads, 101 north of Marin County after midnight. Hwy 1 (CA) in Sonoma/Mendocino County, as well as the one mentioned, Going to the Sun, US Hwy 50 in NV, Hwy 49 in CA, even US 666 (before they changed the number), as well as the freeways of LA, Denver (shudder), Frisco. Not to mention some of the dirt single track I have driven in the wet/slimy winter while looking for critturs to eat.

By leaps and bounds, the hands-down worst is I-5/CA 99 in the San Joaquin and Sacramento Valleys, in the tule fog. Buncha California nutjobs driving 60+ mph with visibilty measured in feet. Some of them end up in firey crashes of 20+ cars. Or the other nutjobs driving 10 mph who end up as a hood ornament for a Peterbuilt.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

A Treacherous Drive? Check out this link: http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin27b.htm

Thumbs down

Trucks and Buses, trying to pass each other on a one lane road, throw in some Mt. Bikers, and you have a recipe for insanity.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    A Treacherous Drive? Check out this link: http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin27b.htm
    This one wins!!!

+ Reply to Thread