+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: float tube fish bag?

Galen,
    Warren's suggestion is excellent. You can also buy (mine came from WalMart) a floating wire fish basket with a hollow plastic hinged lid that floats....Just push on the lid & the fish is held inside, yet can move & remain lively until you put them on ice. I just tie it off to the rear/side & have never had it interfere with landing a fish.
    Welcome to FAOL...If you're not already aware, this is a very special community of wonderful folks.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

2. Default fish bag found

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice on a float tube fish bag. I think I can take it from here.

Best wishes to all, Galen

Look thru a Janns Netcraft catlogue or look on the web site for fish baskets. They have a mesh one that I am not sure how it connects to a boat, tube or canoe. They say it is a floating mesh basket.

Rick

In my one man pontoon, I take one of those floating baskets from Wally World and have used it with good success. Just make sure that they fish you just coaxed to bite for 10 minutes really goes in the basket and doesn't get released while you ATTEMPT to put it in the opening.

I have it on a 5 or 6 foot section of paracord and the only problem is when I try to go through some heavy vegitation. It is useful enough to me that I continue to use it for the gill harvest and a couple of dinners a year.

The type that float away from the tube are the best and can be made from the collapsible metal fish baskets or mesh cloth laundry baskets. You need to to tie wrap a foam "noodle", like the ones sold as swimming pool toys, around the opening.

Caution: I do not recommend a mesh bag type that attaches to the side of your tube or pontoon because bluegill (and a lot of other fish) have spines. Spines and float tube don't get along! Trust me, I learned the hard way.

6. Wink

Wow! What a terrific site. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Now, I can hardly wait for the weekend to go fishing.

Galen

Lightbulb Fish basket

Get a bucket used for ice fishin witn a 1/2 opening lid. drill holes in the sides and bottom and attach a kid swiming pool foam tube at the 7/8 level to the bucket. Hint use cable ties to attache the foam tube.
    PS Do not through the extra tube material away, use it for poppers.

Go out and have some fun and keep the Mrs. happy!, with a fish fry! If you keep fish please let the female go if they have eggs.

Fishin' Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    Galen,
    Warren's suggestion is excellent. You can also buy (mine came from WalMart) a floating wire fish basket with a hollow plastic hinged lid that floats....Just push on the lid & the fish is held inside, yet can move & remain lively until you put them on ice. I just tie it off to the rear/side & have never had it interfere with landing a fish.
    Welcome to FAOL...If you're not already aware, this is a very special community of wonderful folks.
    Mike

What he said! I've done it that way for years and years.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Galen,
    I see you are inundated with suggestions --- but take a look at this. I have used this type in the past & they work quite well.
    http://www.oregonfishing.com/detail.aspx?ID=564

Dennis

Lightbulb Looks like we have a winner!!!

Bad Bug you won, It bets my idea, as as far as I am conerned everyone that showed
    interest should order one. I am. Just put it behind the seat and use it when you want.

Fishin' Jimmy

+ Reply to Thread