+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Top Wading Shoes for wet wading?

I wet wade all the time, as a matter of fact I started on Friday and won't wear waders again probably until the end of October or early November.

That being said, I don't understand the need to buy something 'special" for wet wading. I want the same support, protection and traction I desire when I am wearing waders since I'm more than likely fishing the same places.

I wear my regular Chota STL's, Korker Konvertibles or Russell shoes along with a pair of heavy wool socks & Simms neoprene booties when I wet wade.

Default Wet Wading

Trust me, you won't be happy with low-topped wading shoes. They also gather gravel, and you have to take them off to get rid of it. You're better off with your standard boots.

And I go strictly top end for wet wading. I use my old worn out gym shoes.They work great and add about a year of use to something I would have thrown into the garbage. When pressed, however, It's my Chota's with neoprene booties.

Mark

Thanks for all the replies on this!

You know, for many many years I just wore an old pair of low top canvas Converse All Stars for wet wading....back when I was younger. I've about worn out my second pair of lightweight Hodgman felt soled boots. While not real top end, they've actually been very good to me. But now I'm ready to move on to something other than felt soles. I will hang on to my Hodgmans for the boat and Fish Cat, however.

After weighing the pros and cons, I'm thinking of just getting a new pair of Chota RockLoc wading boots. They have a soft, sticky rubber sole that is reportedly very good on both the trail and in the river. Plus they come with a set of STL screw in studs. These are the new improved version of the STL boot with an upgraded sole. I also know a couple of people that really like the new StreamTread boots from Simms. While these are very nice, it looks like the studs have to be purchased separately.

Anyway, good fishing and Happy Trails!

Tom

Most the the time I wear Keens Newport sandals.
    I've worn them on Florida sands and Colorado mountain streams.
    A closed toe but, yes, every once in a while they need de-pebbling, but they work great all other times.
    I just saw a couple of styles of wet wade sandals (one with felt and another with special rubber) in the Houston Orvis store and they both look good. None in my size or I'd give you a review.
    Cabela's also has Bite primal flats wading boots currently on sale.

I have a pair of Korkers (the Torrent), and while they work great, as mentioned, since they're low-top, they collect a bunch more debris than you would otherwise. I haven't worn them in over a year, if that tells you anything. If you're hiking long distances though, they'd probably be great. I've since started just using a pair of cabelas wading boots (sized for my feet, not for my feet plus neoprene)...either that, or wear the waist-high waders...

~Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Default yeah

well i know you all will laff at me ....but for local here i have a pair of chuck taylor tennis shoes,,canvas,,as for the trout stream cabelas velcro(the chucks are high tops)havent broke my neck yet ..but the fish say i dont look cool...and should get with the times ,,,,i laff at them and still catch them
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

I agree, why buy something special? I want the same support and traction I get from my boots, so I do the same thing. I wear my boots with neoprene booties. Works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I wet wade all the time, as a matter of fact I started on Friday and won't wear waders again probably until the end of October or early November.

That being said, I don't understand the need to buy something 'special" for wet wading. I want the same support, protection and traction I desire when I am wearing waders since I'm more than likely fishing the same places.

I wear my regular Chota STL's, Korker Konvertibles or Russell shoes along with a pair of heavy wool socks & Simms neoprene booties when I wet wade.

+ Reply to Thread