+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need canoe anchor suggestions

fella on another forum like the milk jug idea so he filled one with water and went fishing.

You probably know this but be really careful about anchoring a canoe in current - they don't act anything like a flat bottom and can flip over in a heart beat if the current is too fast. I use about 9 inched of logging chain. Doesn't hang up.

I use old window sash weights. They are heavy but will slip a little in current (which is good for safety). They don't ever get hung up and they cost about $1.00 each.

jed

4. Default

lots of folks use chains 6" to 12" length, then drag to controll your drift.

A lot of great ideas here. Thanks to all for sharing. I still haven't quite decided which route I'll take. I really like the idea of the ankle weights because I seems like they would be quieter. I don't think they would make as much noise banging against the canoe.

I almost bought a pair, but then I realized that it was $20 for 20lbs of sand in a pouch. I just couldn't pay $20 for a little sand when my kids would never notice 10-20lbs missing from their sandbox.
    Tim

I use a 3lb dumbell. I subscribe to a rule that I was told a few years ago...if the current is too strong for a 3 lb weight to hold you, you have no business anchoring a canoe there. It may be overly cautious, but it keeps me out of trouble.

Instead of tying it off on the canoe or kayak, I clamp the line to the gunwale with a cheap spring clamp. This way I can turn it loose with a quick squeeze or even a backhand slap in an emergency.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

+ Reply to Thread