+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glue Eggs

Default Glue Eggs

What kind of hot glue do you use for Glue eggs? I cant seem to find any colored glue sticks at Jo Ann Fabrics, and I am going to need some eggs this weekend.

Thanks,

Geoff

I get mine from a fly tying supplier, like Cabela's. The ones from the fly shops are already mixed in nice transparent 'fish egg' colors. Some times called MOE sticks or egg sticks or glue eggs. They can be hard to search since the sellers all call it something different!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

I have used ones from the craft store, however they tend to be opaque not transparent and they come in fewer colors so you have to mix them to get a good egg color. Get some of the 'clear' glue sticks and mix a little opaque color for a translucent effect. I have best results mixing colors on a small chunk of metal (like an upside down soda can) I use a big squirt of the clear and then add small pieces of color just trimmed of the end of a cold stick. Once the desired color is achieved I let the glob cool and I cut is up into egg sized chunks. I spear a chunk with my dubbing needle and use a lighter to heat it up until it forms a sphere. I dunk the now round egg in a glass of water to quickly cool it. Run your hook through the finished egg and apply a little heat to to the hook shank to set it in place.

Note: those clear glue stick also come in handy when you change colors in the gun. It take a lot of glue to 'rinse out' the previous color and I find the inexpensive clear sticks work great for that.
    Last edited by kengore; 04-09-2009 at 03:02 PM.

3. Default Ergs!

I found some at my local fly shop, packaged by Hairline. Before I found those, I had some good results just using the clear glue around different colored beads. Clear glue and a flouro orange bead looks really cool!

gander mountain has them in the fly tying section and also http://www.jsflyfishing.com/ got some too. if you make a name on there there put mclown69 as the referral and we both get $5 bux free ship! can't lose on that site! they got just about any color of any item ya need!
    Last edited by fishaholic69; 04-10-2009 at 02:29 AM.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

+ Reply to Thread