+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly tying light

Default Fly tying light

I know this has been discussed before, but I would like know what other tyers are using for a travel light? I use a fishpond roadtrip bag and would like the light to fit into the bag, so it has to be rather small and needs to be rechargable and/or run on batteries because I tie at the park and other places were electricity is not available? I have not come up with a suitable light yet and thought somebody on FOAL would be able to help.

thanks
    steve

Default Light

A coleman lantern works just fine for background light, if you need to focus on something, turn on your headlamp. Cheers.

I have tried battery operated vise lights and have not been pleased with their performance. Light is not really bright enough and batteries do not last long. I hope someone knows of one that you can get, but, I never found any that I was pleased with. Maybe you can try out some of the battery operated lights that fit on the bill of your ball cap and adjust it so it shines down on your vise and fly. They do provide enough light for hiking back to the access point after a days fishing and they may provide enough for fly tying. I may even try one myself.

Thanks for the post...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default portable tying light

buy a voltage inverter at an auto supply or boat supply store, plug it into you lighter socket in your vehicle and add an extension cord. plug in your regular lamp and you are in business.

good luck

grumps

If you decide you will go the plug in route I found one a couple of weeks ago I forgot I had. It breaks down into 3 parts...base...shaft...and lamp.

I can provide photos if you are interested.

In fact maybe I'll post it to the For Sale forum.

SteveW:

I go on camping trips with the Mrs every fourth of july and have had the same issue. There are NO suitable lights on the market that are rechargable or batter operated that provides sufficient light. Now to over come this issue I have done the following. Aways tye during the afternoon with nice day light, second we have requested camp sites that have an eletrical hook up so I can plug in my McKensie vise light. However, it's just been easier for me to tye in the afternoon so I can fish the eveing's. I also when I sit down to tye at this time make sure I tye enough for the evening and the next morning. I find this to be fun and actually very easy. Now if you must tye in the evening then two coleman propane lanterns works great. Sory I could not provide you with any better answers.

First thing that I thought of is the newer style flash lights that had leds instead of incandescent bulbs. These run cooler, and need lower power levels which allow for longer run times on the same batteries. Sorry that I don't know of any which are made for fly tying but one could rig something up fairly easily with a hose clamp and a bent piece of metal. But anyone who bought the Road Trip probably doesn't want to jerry rig something up with duct tape and a hose clamp. HA (by the way, just bought a FishPond Coyote myself).

Will be interested so see what some of the other suggestions are.

Here is an interesting place to shop for some ideas on battery powered choices: http://www.brightguy.com/

Have a look at this:

http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm...discontinued=0

They have it at Barnes & Noble for $40

and here for $24

http://www.opentip.com/Office-Produc...p-1035241.html
    Last edited by flyfisherjoe; 04-12-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: add sources

Normand Guest

would something like that work??

For tying while camping and away from an electrical source I use a battery powered LED lamp that was designed for outdoor grills.

The one I have has a C clamp base with magnets, you can clamp it to a table or stick the magnet to any metal surface. The lamp head has a bunch of those high power white LED's mounted on a flexible goose neck. The color balance isn't the greatest, a little too much in the blue spectrum but plenty of light if I already know what colors to use.

It also works great for cooking those late dinners after dark, I just stick it to the side of my coleman stove.

I got mine at Lowes Hardware some years ago, but here is a link to a similar one at Home Depot. Mine has 6 LED's, but I saw it's big brother with 18 LED's on the shelf as well. Not bad for $20 bucks.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0&ddkey=Search
    Last edited by kengore; 04-12-2009 at 09:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread