+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 100' cast with a bamboo rod

Short story. On the shore of a lake. Fish rising to a wind-row of flies out about 90 feet from shore. I had a three weight rod with a TT line. I had room for the back cast. What should I do?? It would take all the fly line just to reach them.
    I caught several. Hope no one was watching.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Short story. On the shore of a lake. Fish rising to a wind-row of flies out about 90 feet from shore. I had a three weight rod with a TT line. I had room for the back cast. What should I do?? It would take all the fly line just to reach them.
    I imagine it would be tough to set the hook at 90'; well, at least for me, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    I would borrow a boat.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I've caught 1000's of trout and I don't think I've ever "set the hook". The fish usually hooks himself, all I do is tighten the line. Not like Bass fishing where your trying to drive a hook through a plastic bait and into a bony mouthed fish. With trout a sharp hook and a soft mouthed fish are an easy hook-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ray View Post
    I've caught 1000's of trout and I don't think I've ever "set the hook". The fish usually hooks himself, all I do is tighten the line. Not like Bass fishing where your trying to drive a hook through a plastic bait and into a bony mouthed fish. With trout a sharp hook and a soft mouthed fish are an easy hook-up.
    I guess the fish I chase aren't quite as cooperative as yours. Some fish, especially while nymphing, do hook themselves. But when dry fly fishing, I often have to do more than just "tighten the line."

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    IWhen I was a boy my dad caught me throwing down one of my Match Box cars. He made me pick the car up, apologize to it and "put it away in a manner befitting a gentleman". Taught me humility and to value the things I own as well as the property of others. Dad will be 78 this year.
    The Matchbox trick worked on me too except it was mom. I still have all of my cars in pristine condition, just like my fishing tackle!

Doc, most fish lost dry fly fishing are lost by the fisherman "setting the hook", they usually react to the sight of the rise, pulling the fly away from and out of the trout's mouth before he closes his mouth.

I just looked at the video and I reacted to the dropped rod more than the cast. Had to read the whole post just to see if anyone else noticed.

Maybe I am hard to please, but the cast didn't look all that impressive. I bet anyone on here, given a few days of practice, could pick up and lay down 90' of line on a lawn. Now get that line out there in a few false casts with accuracy, in a wind, to a moving target, and a fly much larger and heavier than a tuft of yarn and you will have my praise. Not that my praise is worth much, but as others have said 100' casts are not uncommon. I do wish I had the coin to practice with that kind of equipment though.

Quote Originally Posted by docbluedevil View Post
    Regarding the gentleman in the video dropping/tossing his rod/reel, he obviously has the right to do whatever he wants with his equipment. But seeing that sends a chill up my OCD spine, akin to fingernails scraping on a chalkboard.

I just wouldn't do that to my equipment (even to my $50 glass fly rod and $25 fly reel), much less an Oyster rod/Peerless reel.
    That reminds me of a story I heard once about Pinky Gillum. I really don't know if it's true or not but the story goes that he built a rod for a customer. When he saw the way the customer treated the rod he took it back and refunded his money!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    That reminds me of a story I heard once about Pinky Gillum. I really don't know if it's true or not but the story goes that he built a rod for a customer. When he saw the way the customer treated the rod he took it back and refunded his money!
    I have heard that story too!

+ Reply to Thread