+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Fishing with budget rods (pics)

1. Default

I fished with cheap rods for a long time; loved em. This year I got a deal on a top of the line rod so I bought it. I'll never go back to the cheap rods again even if it means paying full price for the expensive rod; it's just that much better. The ease at which the new rod casts just makes fishig more fun.

The rest of my equipment isn't top of the line and now I'm wondering if it should be. Will the other expensive equipment be that much better then my cheap stuff as well?

Quote Originally Posted by RG/AR View Post
    What does it matter how expensive my gear is? What matters is my willingness to give you the hot fly of the day if you aren't catching many fish, and a short lesson on how to use it if you need the knowledge. Folks sometimes say it doesn't matter what others think, but I feel that it matters what others see in me.

Now there is a great attitude!
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    By the way, I am a little amazed why someone hasn't asked if something happened to me that caused me to start this thread. You might be surprised by my answer.
    not interested.

people of all walks of life may look for ways to dispise one another. seek peace, its more better.

Smile

You're not alone my friend

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by _7x View Post
    not interested.

people of all walks of life may look for ways to dispise one another. seek peace, its more better.

If you would get to know me then you would come to realize just how far off the mark your statement is.

I assume that since you are "not interested" that your followup statement was an attempt at trolling. Better luck next time and perhaps you should follow your own advice.

What does it matter how expensive my gear is? What matters is my willingness to give you the hot fly of the day if you aren't catching many fish, and a short lesson on how to use it if you need the knowledge. Folks sometimes say it doesn't matter what others think, but I feel that it matters what others see in me.
    I've fished with RG. What he says is absolutely true. I see a great guy willing to share and give of himself and a lot of fun to be around.

Nice post my friend.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    OK Eric, I'll bite.....WHAT, pray tell, made you start this thread???
    Mike
    Mike,
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have had a very full work load this week. I am glad you asked.

It actually came in part from an attitude that we all run into from time to time but it recently came from me. I had some potential fly fishers checking out my gear and asking me questions at the lake the other day. It was one of those days when my blood sugar was all over the place, my anxiety levels were driven up by that and I was being a little grumpy. They were asking a lot of questions and for some stupid reason I was in a hurry. I had been fussing with the gear in my car. When I finally did the proper thing and turned around to face them I knew right away that my attitude, tone and delivery was wrong.

These guys were actually admiring my bamboo and saying how they could not afford it. Rather then tell them the true story of the boo I had been impatient and given them some flippant answer with the leave me alone brush off tone. I immediately regretted it. I apologized and then engaged them in a conversation about getting started. By the time we went our separate ways I had given them some flies to try with their spin gear, I actually give a lot of flies to spin fishers, given them advice on going to one of the local fly shops to help get outfitted and directed them here.

When I thought about how I had acted I realized that it was basically the same attitude that a fellow fly fisher with expensive gear had given to me recently. It was a disgusting thing to do. It made me ashamed and angry at myself and the fly fisher that did it to me. A lot of that came through in my post. The post is an airing of my dirty laundry. It is me being mad at myself, the other fly fisher and an attempt to get all of us to think about how we present ourselves to other types of fishers before we answer as well as how we treat each other.

nighthawk Guest

Exactly and if we all had the attitude that you do then this post would never have happened!

Thumbs up Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    Mike,
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. I have had a very full work load this week. I am glad you asked.

It actually came in part from an attitude that we all run into from time to time but it recently came from me. I had some potential fly fishers checking out my gear and asking me questions at the lake the other day. It was one of those days when my blood sugar was all over the place, my anxiety levels were driven up by that and I was being a little grumpy. They were asking a lot of questions and for some stupid reason I was in a hurry. I had been fussing with the gear in my car. When I finally did the proper thing and turned around to face them I knew right away that my attitude, tone and delivery was wrong.

These guys were actually admiring my bamboo and saying how they could not afford it. Rather then tell them the true story of the boo I had been impatient and given them some flippant answer with the leave me alone brush off tone. I immediately regretted it. I apologized and then engaged them in a conversation about getting started. By the time we went our separate ways I had given them some flies to try with their spin gear, I actually give a lot of flies to spin fishers, given them advice on going to one of the local fly shops to help get outfitted and directed them here.

When I thought about how I had acted I realized that it was basically the same attitude that a fellow fly fisher with expensive gear had given to me recently. It was a disgusting thing to do. It made me ashamed and angry at myself and the fly fisher that did it to me. A lot of that came through in my post. The post is an airing of my dirty laundry. It is me being mad at myself, the other fly fisher and an attempt to get all of us to think about how we present ourselves to other types of fishers before we answer as well as how we treat each other.

Eric,
    Thank you for the honesty,it takes a great man to realize his undoing. But it takes an even Greater man to correct himself. This makes me even prouder to have you as a friend! We have all run across the type you mentioned, when treated with a smile it usually starts something good. It really doesn't matter what gear you have, it's all about having a good time and learning from one another. Your post has helped many to see this and has strengthened our FAOL Family. THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS POST!!!
    Dave
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Eric,
    Thanks for the reminder that we all represent the fly fishing community 100% of the time. It is through sharing & giving of our time that we perpetuate our passion. I know how well you practice this & admire your admitting that even you can, at times, come across the wrong way. The key is that you admitted to & corrected your mistake.....We all make 'em buddy.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread