+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing with budget rods (pics)

Three cheers for us being poor as dirt! Hip-hip-hooray!
    Jared DuBach

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mnklagoon View Post
    eric ,
    if snobby people approach you about your budget rods they arent worth talking to. almost all people who brag about money really have nothing more than a mountain of debt. im sorry if i offended you in any way but i just think the statement that you are rich in the ways the wealthy will never know is wrong. im sure you have a very full life and its great but so do wealthy people and middle income people and poor people. anyway im not very good at expressing myself so again sorry i made you mad. btw im poor as dirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris
    Chris,
    You did not make me mad. There are no hard feelings here. I really do not like anyone that acts, as my granny used to say, "Holier than thou" regardless of their station in life.

nighthawk Guest

Sometimes it is kind of like this video. Turn on your audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm9EUpRFQ4g

Blog Entries

There is a perception that this is an expensive hobby, yes it is more expensive than bait fishing on a entry leval, but compaired to a lot of hobies it is very reasonable. I read Erics comments as a comment on this fact.

I used to spend way too much time on a gun range, (should have been studying for college) There were people who didn't usually last long in shooting, they showed up couldn't hit the target, changed the sites, couldn't hit the target. bought a "better" firearm. Meaning more expensive. couldn't hit the target. soon they put the gun away and went somewhere that they could buy skill. They were the ones that had to tell you what everything cost and why what you were shooting wasn't as good as yours. It wasn't about how much money they had, it was about class some has it some don't.

The guys that wanted the skill spent time puting lead down range. It will show no matter what they are doing.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 04-01-2009 at 05:12 AM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    There is a perception that this is an expensive hobby, yes it is more expensive than bait fishing on a entry leval, but compaired to a lot of hobies it is very reasonable. I read Erics comments as a comment on this fact.

I used to spend way too much time on a gun range, (should have been studying for college) There were people who didn't usually last long in shooting, they showed up couldn't hit the target, changed the sites, couldn't hit the target. bought a "better" firearm. Meaning more expensive. couldn't hit the target. soon they put the gun away and went somewhere that they could buy skill. They were the ones that had to tell you what everything cost and why what you were shooting wasn't as good as yours. It wasn't about how much money they had, it was about class some has it some don't.

The guys that want the skill spent time fishing, casting etc. It will show no matter what they are fishing or doing.

Eric
    My photography hobby is one that is more expensive. I used to have being a drunk as a hobby but I gave that up 9 years ago on April 20, 2000. Five days after my beloved mother in law died. She was a wonderful lady and it started out as my promise to her. Used that money to buy more fishing gear! I miss you mom!

Blog Entries

Eric congratulations on 9 years of sobriety, I never started drinking or I likely would be a drunk myself. It says alot about a person who can kick an addiction.

Again Congratulations.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Thanks for a great post, Eric! I'm in much the same boat. I get a real chuckle when someone says they couldn't fish with a low end rod because I couldn't fish without them. They fit my budget. Funny, though. On those perfect days when I long to be out fishing or on those days when I do get out, I've never come away thinking it would be one bit better if I had a $500 rod. I have nothing against quality, high end equipment for any activity...if you can afford it and it gives you satisfaction, more power to ya, but it's a huge mistake to think that spending more is essential to enjoying the sport to the fullest.

One of my favorite rods is an old fiberglass 8wt that I bought at an auction of household goods for $8. I carefully stripped off the old yellow paint finish, the grip and reel seat, and rebuilt it with new components. Total investment: $38. Yet this is the rod that calls to me when I decide to head to the Susquehanna to play with the bass.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

nighthawk,
    I'm with you 1000%. While I do have one rod that will set you back over $200, I have to say that it was given to me by my daughter. My favorite, and most used rod, however is an old Fenwick fiberglass. That too was given to me. I'm currently working on a two piece banty boo. Cost so far; $0. Approximate finished cost around $50. So, like you, I like to have fun without spending too much money.
    God Bless,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Eric,

Point taken. We should not judge people by the equipment they use. I still say you will never see Steve Rajeff in a casting tournament with a budget rod.
    And many of us might not use budget equipment if we all had some company sponsoring us to fish. If we, of more modest means or who choose to spend our hard earned $$ elsewhere, had a big company like Xxxxxxxx giving us equipment to fish, we might use it, we may not. I have cast with high dollar rods as well as low dollar rods many times. Most of the fishing that I do is within 30-40 feet. I have not been able to discern a difference between the two ends of the spectrum of rods. Therefore, why spend my $$ on something that does not make a difference for me. I do use one spool og "expensive" line though, Sylk (not silk). I paid close to retail for it. I do not regret it at all. Most of the time, I am using BassPro CV2 line at about $20 a spool. What it boils down to is, does your equipment work for you. More expensive, "top of the line", equipment does not make one a better fisherman.

Can't be bothered to try and keep up...all my gear is considered low-end but so far haven't ever had "the my gear is better than yours" confrontation with any other angler.

What is truly funny is to watch things once "junk" suddenly become golden again...try and find a minty old Fenwick for less than 150-200 bucks these days, unless you get lucky, what was once a 15 dollar "throw away" is now coveted by many.

Another trend I am seeing is a return to the "traditional" graphite rods...many are realizing faster rods are not the answer...

I would almost promise that a few hushed words uttered in certain places about your Hurricane glass rod would have you suddenly sporting the latest must have rod.

+ Reply to Thread