+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Exciting

Wow IS all you can say. A thrill to be on deck to watch the fight, and the shot is perfect and captures it all. Great memory for you. (too bad it didn't count in the tournament)
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

That is great! Congrats.
    One hell of a pic!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Thanks for the kind words. I really love shooting photos BUT I'm even crazier about fishing so stopping fishing to spend LOTS of time shooting photos can be real tough at times. A couple years ago I was out shooting Sailfish photos with a buddy off Ocean Reef in the Keys and it was the most amazing Sailfish bite I've ever seen. We had released 14 Sails by 10:30 in the morning and I stayed on the camera the whole time. There were only 3 of us in the boat and we had triple-headers 3 times and even 2 quadruple headers so it was nuts. My buddies were yelling at me to drop the #@&% camera and grab a rod. It killed me to not be in the action cranking on fish that day BUT if you are going to get the shots you need you take one for the team and make the sacrifice. Then there is the serious hassle of lugging near 40 pounds of camera gear everywhere, INCLUDING when hiking in 6 miles and up 2000' in elevation. Then there is fighting the wind, rain, snow, seas and such but all that said, I still LOVE doing it. One of these days I sure would like to get some formal training as to this point I'm 100% self-taught.

As for the gear I used . . .
    This shot was taken with a Canon 10D and a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Super Bowl sized lens. The camera is mine, the lens was rented as the $1400 lens price tag was too steep for me. Now however I'm ready to pull the trigger and will be purchasing the Sigma version of that lens which has gotten great reviews and is some $600 less. Now I'm shooting with the Canon 40D and use the 10D as a back up.

That fish cooperated for me jumping a few times fairly close to the boat. Here is another shot of that same fish : )

and still one more shot . . .

and here is the VERY BEST one of all which I took just last week. My two boys exercising the Trout in the creek next to my house : )

Default Cover shot

Nice goin' Dr. Fish, what a huge honor and
    thrill to get the cover spot ! That last pic of
    your boys 'covers' it all though...best of best !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Appreciate all the skill that went into those shots. Sometimes formal training interfers with natural abilities. Once again great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fish View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I really love shooting photos BUT I'm even crazier about fishing so stopping fishing to spend LOTS of time shooting photos can be real tough at times. A couple years ago I was out shooting Sailfish photos with a buddy off Ocean Reef in the Keys and it was the most amazing Sailfish bite I've ever seen. We had released 14 Sails by 10:30 in the morning and I stayed on the camera the whole time. There were only 3 of us in the boat and we had triple-headers 3 times and even 2 quadruple headers so it was nuts. My buddies were yelling at me to drop the #@&% camera and grab a rod. It killed me to not be in the action cranking on fish that day BUT if you are going to get the shots you need you take one for the team and make the sacrifice. Then there is the serious hassle of lugging near 40 pounds of camera gear everywhere, INCLUDING when hiking in 6 miles and up 2000' in elevation. Then there is fighting the wind, rain, snow, seas and such but all that said, I still LOVE doing it. One of these days I sure would like to get some formal training as to this point I'm 100% self-taught.

As for the gear I used . . .
    This shot was taken with a Canon 10D and a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 Super Bowl sized lens. The camera is mine, the lens was rented as the $1400 lens price tag was too steep for me. Now however I'm ready to pull the trigger and will be purchasing the Sigma version of that lens which has gotten great reviews and is some $600 less. Now I'm shooting with the Canon 40D and use the 10D as a back up.

That fish cooperated for me jumping a few times fairly close to the boat. Here is another shot of that same fish : )

and still one more shot . . .

and here is the VERY BEST one of all which I took just last week. My two boys exercising the Trout in the creek next to my house : )
    Catching a Sailfish is my absolute #1 bucket fish. Forget Marlin..., but a trip for Sails could be doable for me someday. Great pix, and like the boy's hats.....
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Catching a Sailfish is my absolute #1 bucket fish. Forget Marlin..., but a trip for Sails could be doable for me someday. Great pix, and like the boy's hats.....
    Well the Sailfish thing is EASILY done and you can do that right out of south Florida. All the Sailfish you could ever want in that hot zone from West Palm Beach to Key West. Flights are cheap, many of the best of the best Sailfish captains on the globe reside there. Dec - March is prime time with at least a couple Sailfish a day a near guarantee. I personally have had several days with more than 10 Sail's caught and released there.

Now doing it on the fly there is far more challenging as they are not so keen on flies as their Pacific cousins are but it most certainly can be done. The Western Atlantic Sail is not fond of electric pink chicken flies as the Pacific fish are but tie up some flies that look much like what our Sail's are feeding on (Ballyhoo, Threadfin Herring, Spanish Sardine, Alewives, Goggleeye (Big Eye Scad) and so on and you cn indeed catch these Sail's.

If you need some guide recommendations just let me know . . .

Wink Get some training !!

Dr. Fish -

Some truly outstanding pics. It's kind of scary to think what you might do with a camera if you had some serious training in photography !!

John
    The fish are always right.

great pictures Dr.Fish, i dont want to jumpin on your thread dut wanted to ask Crazy4old cars how it the fishing in his part of texas. if this is not propper then please let me know

robin

nighthawk Guest

Superb shots! I do hope that Canon has some type of forum to post in and that you submitted there. Hey come on over and join our Photographer's Corner group here. Love to have ya there.

+ Reply to Thread