+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving natural hairs and furs?

"Get a pyrethrin pest strip from your farm store. Cut it into one inch squares, one each in each plastic bag."
    Spent the afternoon at 6 farm stores and nobody had or could tell me about that product. Could use any help to identify this product.

I put the hair or fur I am saving in a small paper bag.

I also put a couple of moth balls in a different paper bag.

I then put both bags into a small tupperware container.

It has worked fine for the last 3 years.

Ed
    " Fishermen, hunters, wood choppers, and others,
    spending their lives in the fields and woods,
    in a peculiar sense a part of Nature themselves,
    are often in a more favorable mood for observing her,
    in the intervals of their pursuits,
    than philosophers or poets even,
    who approach her with expectation."

Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by fly.tyer View Post
    "Get a pyrethrin pest strip from your farm store. Cut it into one inch squares, one each in each plastic bag."
    Spent the afternoon at 6 farm stores and nobody had or could tell me about that product. Could use any help to identify this product.
    fly.tyer,

I work at a farm store, but I am not a chemist so what I am fixing to tell you may not be 100% correct but it should be close enough. Pyrethrin and permethrin are more or less the same chemical. I don't really understand it all, but I have been told they are brothers or cousins or something like that. Anyway, I know at our store we sell flea collars for dogs and cats that are made out of permethrin, cutting one of those into 1 inch long pieces should work. We also sell some fly baits for hanging up in a barn or something that could probably be cut up, but I think the flea collars would cut easier. I hope that helps.

hNt

PS: We sell a small bottle of permethrin for spraying cows for flies. It has on the label the correct amount to use for spraying dogs, cats, and horses. It is a whole lot cheaper to buy the bottle, like $5 and mix it in a quart spray bottle and treat your pets. Same exact chemical and it is on the label. A little aggravating mixing, I think its like 1 oz to a gal, but it sure beats the price the vets stick you with. Has nothing to do with keeping furs and hairs, but it might save someone a few bucks, and in this day and age...
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Quote Originally Posted by fly.tyer View Post
    Back-in-the-day these were called "Shell No-Pest-Strips" right? If that's true good luck finding them. I think they were pulled off the market years ago when some small children thought they were candy and died from eating them.

To go along with the title of this thread: http://www.amazon.com/Field-Fly-Tier...0109757&sr=8-2

I can't believe that I haven't bought this book yet, but spring turkey season is around the corner and I want to be able to use more of my spring bird this year.

I have a friend that uses moth balls with good success, but hate the smell of them and use a dog flea collar cut into pieces in my supplies since I read about it here. Remember that they don't last forever and should be replaced every so often. So if you use a flea collar and you haven't changed it out since you first put them in, now might be a good time to put new ones in, they are cheap compared to the cost of even a single cape.

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    fly.tyer,

I work at a farm store, but I am not a chemist so what I am fixing to tell you may not be 100% correct but it should be close enough. Pyrethrin and permethrin are more or less the same chemical. I don't really understand it all, but I have been told they are brothers or cousins or something like that. Anyway, I know at our store we sell flea collars for dogs and cats that are made out of permethrin, cutting one of those into 1 inch long pieces should work. We also sell some fly baits for hanging up in a barn or something that could probably be cut up, but I think the flea collars would cut easier. I hope that helps.

hNt

PS: We sell a small bottle of permethrin for spraying cows for flies. It has on the label the correct amount to use for spraying dogs, cats, and horses. It is a whole lot cheaper to buy the bottle, like $5 and mix it in a quart spray bottle and treat your pets. Same exact chemical and it is on the label. A little aggravating mixing, I think its like 1 oz to a gal, but it sure beats the price the vets stick you with. Has nothing to do with keeping furs and hairs, but it might save someone a few bucks, and in this day and age...
    Thank you this sure did help.

Default horse hair etc.

Jason, If you have the animals there why do you have to save/keep materials from them in the house? I take the horse hair (mane or tail) as I need it. Road kill is a different story. As long as the critters are alive you've got a source. My penny's worth. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Was given some horse hair not long back - for fly tying purposes I never refuse anything, but was wondering what to do with it. Thanks for the info about ribbing and nymph bodies, can now reduce the amount I was given by tying up some flies with it.

Thanks again.....

Jeanne

Horse hair...where to start?

Tail and mane - use for dry fly tails where a darker color is needed. Also works well for legs, single hairs for small flys like beetles, combine them when larger legs are needed like hoppers. I glue a few together cut them to length and overhand knot them for the bend.

Back-in-the-day braided tail hair was used for fly line or tippet (I'm not exactly sure which).

Body hair - (NOTE: English jumpers are clipped for shows so I get a ton of this every couple of months) I use it as a substitute for hares mask, or you can pick out the longer hairs for a great dubbing.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of other uses but these are the only ones I can think of now.

Quote Originally Posted by deserttrout View Post
    I used my daughter's cat and my neighbors cat and tied up a dozen nymphs.
    Deserttrout
    Did you return it?

+ Reply to Thread