+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning a broken rod?

Unhappy Returning a broken rod?

So broke the tip on my Sage rod. And am going to return it under warranty. How would you go about packing/mailing a nine foot two piece rod and tube.

My thought was to just wrap the whole set up in brown paper bag and lots of packing tape but...

Figured the post office would give me that big eyed deer in head lights type look and would rather approach the brain trust here first.
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Lightbulb Sage return policy

Hi, JJ.

From the Sage website ( http://www.sageflyfish.com/Resources/Warranty/ ):

"In order to have a product serviced:
    Please visit your local dealer or send it to the address below.

If you choose to send the Sage Product directly to us, please send the entire Product, freight pre-paid, and insured for its full value. Be sure to include all broken parts or pieces. Package the Product either in its original packaging, or in packaging affording an equal degree of protection as the original packaging."

I've sent two broken 9-ft. 2 pc. rods back to Sage over the years...I used a 4" diameter X 5' long heavy cardboard tube. In both cases I was able to get shipping tubes from a local fly shop. Neither the Post Office nor the UPS Store had a long-enuff shipping tube. I didn't have rod tubes, just DB Dunn rod cases which I wasn't going to ship to Sage... I wrapped each rod section in bubble wrap (including the broken tip piece), then packing-taped the two wrapped sections together. I taped the bottom cap onto the tube, put plenty of wadded-up newspaper in the bottom of the tube, then inserted the wrapped rod sections into the tube, then more wadded newsprint on top. Taped the top cap on using plenty o' packing tape... made labels for the shipping and return address, taped 'em on the tube & took tube to the Post Office.

Prolly clear as mud, but Hope it helps!
    Last edited by PRM; 03-20-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: clarity
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

If you can't get a shipping tube from your fly shop, go to a carpet store and ask for one of the cardboard tubes the carpet comes shipped on. They usually have a pile of those and wil be more than happy to give yu one.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

I would imagine that PVC pipe works just as well. Not free though.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I'm with Joe, PVC is the safest bet although the weight will add $$$ to the shipping costs. It's all I trust if the rod is irreplaceable.

Be careful with the insurance too. When I ship rods I always insure them for the full replacement value which can raise a few eyebrows when the rod is a Sage or other top brand. I had a UPS clerk describe a rod I was sending back to have an uplocking reelseat replaced with a downlocking as: "ALREADY BROKEN, GOING BACK FOR REPAIR". I didn't realize he put that info in the computer until I got home. I guess he did it so UPS could fight the claim if something happened which ticked me off because I paid for the extra insurance.

All turned out OK but UPS doesn't get any of my business any more.

So when you ship with insurance, make sure someone doesn't try to pull a fast one on you too!

Be careful with the insurance too. When I ship rods I always insure them for the full replacement value which can raise a few eyebrows when the rod is a Sage or other top brand.

I have seen a few raised eyebrows when shipping rods. I was once ask what the manufacture retail price was of a bamboo rod I was shipping was and I told them $1150.00. He then ask me if I could show a catalog page listing that price and I said I didn't print a catalog. It took a bit to convince the guy that I was the manufacture of the rod and I was shipping it to my customer.

PVC schedual 40 or schedual 80 makes a fine shipping tube even if it isn't free. The price is a small part of the shipping cost. Just make sure to use plenty of packing on the ends of the tube since somewhere along the line someone will use your rod as a spear.

Good luck shipping your rod.

fishbum

As you've been told, PVC is probably the strongest for this purpose.

If you do decide to go with the cardboard tube, however, here's a tip I was told about by a rod builder...

After wrapping the rod sections with suitable protection...add a length of 3/4 inch wooden doweling that's longer than the rod sections....if the 'tube' fractures, this prevents it from bending enough to damage the rod sections, and also prevent the tube from telescoping shorter and breaking the rod.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I recently sent my Sage back for repair by sending it in its aluminum tubing packaged in two FedEx triangular shaped shipping "tubes" taped end to end. The FedEx clerk created the shipping tube--the rod tube protected the rod. Came back from sage in a cardboard tube.....Great service....

The shipping, insurance and all ended up costing me close to $100 dollars but I have my favorite rod back.

BW

I have used PVC, use schedule 10 instead of schedule 40 to save weight. Use plastic caps if you can get them to the right size, if not cut plastic or 1/4" plywood, etc. and use duct tape.

UPS or FedEx might be cheaper than USPS with the insurance and everything.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Your local UPS store should have 48" mailing tubes. Cheaper than PVC and cheaper to mail.
    Last edited by CoachBob; 03-20-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread