+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bambooroditis???

1. Default Bambooroditis???

How many of you have fallen ill to said disease?

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

What a way to go.

Blog Entries

Sadly Moneyitis has put an end to any Bambooitis I may have had or will have .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I have fallen fully into the madness that is bamboo, and sad to say I have more rods than I need or can justify. Most are production rods that I rebuilt or restored, and most are nothing to write home about. But then there are the Orvis rods. I bought and early 8' 2/2 because of an unexpected confluence of oporotunity and cash. There may better rods out there, but this rod casts the way I do , and that makes it excellent in my book. Of course that led to 2 more old Orvis rods, an 8 1/2 ' for land locked salmon, and a 7' just because it seemed like the next logical step.
    Even at used prices, better rods like the Orvis rods, can be a bit pricey, but I rationalize it by figuring I could always sell them for what I have in them, knowing darn well I'll never sell them.
    A bit of advise to those who do succumb to the lure of bamboo, keep away from silk lines, or you will be truely lost.
    AgMD

There's only one cure for bambooroditis! GET A BAMBOO ROD!!!!!!! I feel soooo much better now!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

ooooooh I done it i stipped and refinished my first boo rod. there is no hope now its all i dream about

The onset of this highly contagious disease is IMMEDIATE, upon owning and/or casting a bamboo flyrod. I am among those stricken. It is incurable & progressive in nature....just ask Leo or Ray!!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!

[This message has been edited by ohiotuber (edited 19 November 2005).]
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

7 production tea sticks in 3 years. 5 completed, 2 in process. I'm starting to worry about my marriage.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I don't know if its bamboo-itis since when I got my first bamboo in 1973 bamboo was still considered, without any argument, the best material for rod making. I was simply buying a top flight rod.

Now, I've had a number of bamboo rods and still have 4 in service, several needing refinishing and one being made. I guess that constitutes bamboo-itis since I have graphites and glas rods that work just as well...but they don't look as pretty.

Well, I just bought my first bamboo fly rod, and it arrived yesterday. It's a mass-produced rod from the mid-1950's -- a 7'6" 2/2 5wt. While no Payne or Leonard, it is an excellent casting rod. There seems to be a lot of them around so it wasn't all that expensive. This particular rod has some grip modifications, but is otherwise in excellent condition as far as my eyes can tell.

Although I tried to do my research on this, the real secret was a local guy that really knows a lot and was able to put me onto this entry level, but very nice casting rod. I think I wound up paying a little too much for it, but I was getting impatient -- and so what are ya gonna do?

+ Reply to Thread