+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combing Underfur on Elk/Deer

Hi Bob,

I too use a simple method that does not involve a comb. After cutting off a small clump from the hide, I grasp the tips with thumb and finger, then grab the cut end with the other thumb and finger and after a bit of rolling the hair lightly back and forth pull out most of the underfur with the off hand. Works great. I also brush the hair back and forth a bit with a bodkin to get most of what is left.

Regards,

Gandolf

Quote Originally Posted by gordo7 View Post
    Before stacking, grasp any tips of the cut hairs between thumb and index finger, purse your lips and blow hard into the base of the hairs (Sometimes a little 'rolling' action of the tips will aid the process)Pinch the cut ends in your other hand and you will have nearly all of the "fines" and underfur ready to remove from the tip end. Just pull them through and dispose or save for a dubbing.
    Gorodo makes it sound harder than is actually is but as Lauren Bacall said in the classic movie 'To Have or To Have Have Not'...
    All you need to do is to put your lips together and blow
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I also use an old toothbrush, I cut the bristles down to about 1/2 the original length. Hold the tips of hair tightly in your fingertips and brush out the base. For my travel kit I use an eyebrow brush 'cause it's smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    I'm with Scott...

Cheap plastic comb..works great and I like the 'longer' teeth over the moustache and 'made for the fly tying market' combs (I'm usually spinning deer hair for bass bugs, don't want to comb it in little batches...).

Besdies, did I mention they are cheap...you can get five or six of them at the dollar store for...a dollar!

Buddy
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. It was appreciated for sure. I have a real nice 'Stash comb that I think will fit the bill perfectly. Wish I had thought of it myself! And Buddy, you will be pleased, I paid nothing for it! Hows about that for cheap!!
    Again, Thanks!
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread