+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poly-Leaders

Another question to those experienced with polyleaders... If I were to choose one type to fish for trout with mainly dries, but occasional nymphs and wets, what would it be? (i.e. floating, hover, intermediate) Would the float get down ok with a little split shot on the tippet, and likewise would the hover or intermediate stay up enough so as not to drag my dries under? Airflo hover sink rate is 0.5 inch/second and intermediate is 1.5 inch/second. Thanks.

-RC

RC,

I know Cabelas sells the complete poly kit ($30 or so) with floating, hovering, and various sinking leaders. I have the kit and it was fun experimenting with them. They no longer sell them individually so you need to buy the AirFlo ones individually.

Since you are going to use dries most of the time I would start with a floating leader. You can add weight and they will sink well enough for many stream applications. Plus you can add a little more tippet material to get it down further. Don't expect the same performance as the sinking leaders but I use the floating leader most of the time and have no trouble bouncing the bottom down a couple of feet or so when I'm too lazy to change leaders. After that you will be adding even more/smaller tippet and plenty of lead to make it happen in fast water. That will start to create some complications but you can't expect one leader to do it all perfectly.
    Last edited by gzacckey; 03-04-2009 at 04:27 PM.

I have used them for several seasons and for both dry flies and nymphs. They turn over long tippets very well. I'd suggest getting a 5' floating poly leader. Add monofilament tippet to make a 9' dry fly leader. Or add tippet, a strike indicator and some weight for nymphing. You'll need to put the strike indicator on the tippet section (not the poly), so you are limited in the depth you can nymph by how much tippet you can cast.

Don't understand the comment about changing out furled leaders being a hassle. I bet I can change one in 30 seconds. Sooooo...hassle? I dunno. I don't get it.
    Gemrod

+ Reply to Thread