+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you tie somthing like this

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

The secret to tying these is to keep the hair sparse. You don't want to bulk up the fly too much, or it will be hard to cast.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout View Post
    They have been pretty ugly so far...... deffinatly not a parachute adams....lol

Here are two of my patterns. I used Polaris N.E.W. Fibers for these. It has one extra step, which involves 'cooking' the fibers with a heat gun for a few seconds to get a perfect sillouette.

Fish4trout: This is definetly a technique that requires practice and with each attempt you use less and less material until you get it. The best advice I can offer is if you think you have enough material reduce it by half, eventually your "half" will be just enough!

Gigmaster: with the N.E.W. material, do you tie it any differently than "Puglisi" type material??

Wayneb

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    Here are two of my patterns. I used Polaris N.E.W. Fibers for these. It has one extra step, which involves 'cooking' the fibers with a heat gun for a few seconds to get a perfect sillouette.

very nice... especially that first one

It is very similar. There is an extra step. You 'cook' the fly with a heat gun, and it gives it a permanent 'baitfish' shape. Check out the video at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6rNBGe_Frk.

All of the Polaris flies are my very best producers. It must be the way the matierial reflects light, or something, because they outfish every other pattern I have ever tied. I have fished them side-by-side with traditional patterns, and the Polaris ones won, by a large margin. Given a choice, the fish (of all species I can fish for) always went for the Polaris flies. The Polaris Grasshopper/Cricket is especially deadly on panfish.

I modified the Polaris Shrimp slighty by adding claws to it, and it is the best Crawfish pattern I've got. It is irresistable to SM Bass.

Happy fishing....

I've been tying some large pike flies out of clown wig like this.
    The material is too curly as is, but with a little heat from a heat gun, you can straighten it out as much or as little as you please.
    A 4/0 fly tied 'wavy' only takes 4-6 very small clumps.
    Full bodied but very sparse and translucent
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Gig...do you fish for trout?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    It is very similar. There is an extra step. You 'cook' the fly with a heat gun, and it gives it a permanent 'baitfish' shape. Check out the video at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6rNBGe_Frk.

All of the Polaris flies are my very best producers. It must be the way the matierial reflects light, or something, because they outfish every other pattern I have ever tied. I have fished them side-by-side with traditional patterns, and the Polaris ones won, by a large margin. Given a choice, the fish (of all species I can fish for) always went for the Polaris flies. The Polaris Grasshopper/Cricket is especially deadly on panfish.

I modified the Polaris Shrimp slighty by adding claws to it, and it is the best Crawfish pattern I've got. It is irresistable to SM Bass.

Happy fishing....
    That guys web site was a bit confusing. Is that where you have been getting your material?

Absolutely! I have a trout stream right behind the house (I live in the Cohutta Wilderness, on Grassy Mountain), and a lot more within walking distance, including a water fall.

They look like this:

I also bass fish (both LM and SM), catfish, crappie fish, bluegill fish, carp fish, snakehead fish, striper and white bass fish, and even salt-water fish when I can. I run trot and jug lines for catfish.

Here is how to tie the best N. E. W. trout streamers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbv_sKvsGz4

And some dries: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-Uag3zqZo

I now use this stuff about 75% of the time on flies I am actually going to fish with.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Gig...do you fish for trout?
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 03-03-2009 at 12:24 PM.

I get mine from Tim's site: http://1a-fly-fishing.com/. I think he is the originator of the material, and most of the patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout View Post
    That guys web site was a bit confusing. Is that where you have been getting your material?

+ Reply to Thread