+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pearsall Silk Colours & Alternatives

Hi Fly Goddess;

I think the pleasure is all ours, those are some beautiful flies!

You should post your "Northern Lights" fly also, I really like that one!

Wayneb

Default silks from Fish Hawk

On my desk here are samples of silks from Fish Hawk. I'm looking at them closely and see they are manufactured by YLI. Hmmmmmmm.

I was mostly interested in them for rod build threads, they're 3/0, but my guess is that they'd compare to about a 70 denier nylon fly tying thread (more like a 6/0 nylon). If you're into rod building, the 3/0 silk is almost exactly 1/2 diameter of "A" nylon.

I'll have them listed on our web site within a month. I don't know the price yet, but will try and sell it for less than $5.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by hackleman57 View Post
    On my desk here are samples of silks from Fish Hawk. I'm looking at them closely and see they are manufactured by YLI. Hmmmmmmm.

I was mostly interested in them for rod build threads, they're 3/0, but my guess is that they'd compare to about a 70 denier nylon fly tying thread (more like a 6/0 nylon). If you're into rod building, the 3/0 silk is almost exactly 1/2 diameter of "A" nylon.

I'll have them listed on our web site within a month. I don't know the price yet, but will try and sell it for less than $5.

Ron
    A thread in silk is about a 50 weight and the 100 weight is 3/0

Default 50 & 100 weight

I am not familiar with your use of the term "weight." Please explain. Thanks. Is it denier?

Ron

The best substitute that I have found for Pearsall's Gossamer is Tire Machine Twist 50 weight. It's basically the same and comes in 171 colors.
    They also have Buttonhole twist of excellent quality. Here are some colors matches(very close but not exact) for Pearsall's. The first number is for Pearsall's and the names and second numbers for Tire thread.

3 Champaign 203
    4 Honeysuckle 29
    6A Mustard 74
    6b Burnt Gold 8
    10 Putty 25
    11 Yellow Green 148

www.silkthings.com/catalog.php?cat=001

That is excellent Mr Bailey, two more brands of silk since, YLI & TIRE,
    I started this thread. It is a real incentive to get me tying again.
    I can get YLI here in the UK, but have only found TIRE on US sites.
    I may just have to help the US export statistics.
    And why not??
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

By the way, I have a silver speckled hen CDL cape I will let go cheap. I just got it the other day, from Softhackler. Nice Whiting cape, not a feather mussed or missing. Couldn't wait to tie with it. Did I mention I have an English Springer Spaniel Puppy? Did I neglect to say that he now poops CDL feathers? Yup, my bad, I left the cape where he could reach if he stood on his back feet (tippy toes) and really stretched his neck to get to it. My pretty CDL neck is in very small pieces, but I may be able to salvage a part of it.

REE

Well Ree I have to ask (but I may be able to salvage)---from which end of the pup--Front or rear.

John
    Last edited by JAd; 02-28-2009 at 09:20 PM.
    Fish like predator.

Default Great Flies/ Silk

FlyGoddess: Those are pretty flies.

Is there any validity to my post about Pearsall's numbering their spools to go along with their color chart or is that a less than smart idea? I don't see colors real well and that would certainly help me.

I think I'll try some of that Tire Silk.

lastchance, first off thank you very much!
    I have several of the Pearsall's silk. The little spools. I have to sqeeze the heck out of my bobbin
    There is no number or color reference on them.
    I also have K.N.K made in China, but for the buck I really like the YLI. It is fabulous.

I am luck so far that the posted color charts are pretty accurate. The ones I have order because of the chart have been dead on. The Green and the Yellow was a concern because there were so many choices.
    As far as fly tying goes, just remember, what color thread you put underneath will effect the DRY color. I won't coat my finished flies, but if you do, you will end up with the wet fly color.
    Now I wonder.....If I cover a hook with BLUE thread, then top with YELLOW SILK, will I get a nice GREEN when wet......OFF TO THE TYING STATION!!!!

JAd,

I think I can salvage those that are still on the skin he ripped apart. Those that show up at the south end of a north bound dog I leave to nature.

Our two cats have never touched a feather on our tying benches over all the years we've had them (one is 16 the other is 13). You'd think they might snag a few to get even for all the dubbing they provide, but no.

Our old dog, in 15 years, never touched any fly tying or drum making stuff.

Ghillie, the pup, has done the deed with only 6 months in the house.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread