+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod maintenance?

Default Rod maintenance?

What do i need to keep my rod in tip top shape so it will last a lifetime.
    How do i look after the cork,ferrules etc?
    Please advize...

You will get a zillion opinions about this.

Assuming you're talking about graphite:

Keeping it in tip top shape is about as easy as wiping it down with a soft cloth after use and storing it out of the tube overnight; (my preference), or at least storing it with the rod tube cap off overnight to promote complete drying. Storing any type of rod wet or damp in the tube may spell disaster later on.

As far as ferrules go IF you're talking about graphite keep them clean and a light coat of paraffin will reduce wear but make sure to keep the waxed ferrules especially clean since it will hold dirt or grit.

Cleaning a rod is a controversial subject since some people equate dirt and scratches with character so the choice is yours to make. I clean my rods once a year; usually over the winter.

Cleaning the cork grip may or may not prolong it's life and people will make fun of you if you have an especially clean grip; I know about that one . I use a mixture of dish-washing detergent and Bon Ami cleanser on a wet sponge to get off the dirt; rinse and then allow the rod to dry overnight. Don't use any solvents as they may melt the glue used on the cork rings or the filler; not to mention what may happen if you get it on the rod blank.

As far as the rest of the rod I annually wipe down the blank with a wet sponge and soap; rinse and dry and follow-up by waxing the rod blank with pure carnauba car wax IF it is a polished blank not the type that are dull finished. Another trick I discovered is that if your rod has super fine scratches; the type that are more like the swirl marks you get on a car; a good quality car polish like Meguire's will polish them out. Follow up the polish with carnauba wax.

Slightly stubborn scratches will respond to Meguire's Swirl Remover. Both products are designed for the clear coat on cars and are extremely mild abrasives. Follow up the swirl remover with polish then carnauba wax and the blank will look better than new.

I've done this for years on my rods with no ill effects but I only polish them IF I see scratches; otherwise I just wax them. BUT every blank is different and if you have a rod that is not a highly polished blank I'd skip the polish and just wax since pure carnauba wax contains no abrasives.

Sorry for the how-to manual...

Besides doing what maintenance or repairs that become apparent, what has given longevity to my rods is some very simple care. Wiping them down after use with a soft cloth ( like an old, worn out-of use tee shirt) and then placing the rod into a rod bag or sock, and then into a protective rod tube. Like what was already said, being certain not to put up or store the rod while anything was wet or damp.

Dale

Hang it over the fire place and never use it. it will last forever!

Rich

-Always wash the rod off after an extended trip or a short trip in saltwater. Never store it wet. Use a little soap and warm water. Clean the guides with a was cloth. Rinse it really well.

-Clean the grip with tootpaste (paste not gel) a time or two a year. Regular old colgate or crest is the best. Just scrub it with a washcloth. If you use some elbow grease and take a little time the grip will come back like new. I have neve found anything that works nearly as well as toothpaste to clean a grip. Don't use scotchbrite or an abrasive pad it's too coarse and will score the cork.

-Wax the ferrules lightly with paraffin on the male end. Do this a time or two a year.

-Wax the rods lightly with pledge once a year. Spray the pledge on a dust rag, wipe it on the rod, and buff with a soft, clean cloth. That's what Sage uses. Use the plain stuff. Buff it and you'll be amazed how shiny a new-looking they stay. Some people use auto wax but I don't like it because it smells "chemicalish"

-If you have nickel silver reel seat components you can get some anti-tarnish stuff at the hardware store. It's nasty stuff though lots of nasty chemicals. I don't bother with it unless I'm selling the rod.

That's about it. Have fun keeping your rod looking nice it's a pride of ownership thing.

-John

I like that 'scrubbin Bubbles bathroom cleaner. It really does lift the grime right off of the rod, especially nice around the guides (it probably disinfects too!)
    Never Dull for nickel-silver.
    I have yet to wax my rods or use Pledge. That's not to say a long, cold winter won't change that!
    Fine furniture manufacturers usually avoid Pledge as they used to say it tends to build-up and can also trap dirt in it. I've heard it recommended so often though I might just have to try it sometime.

+ Reply to Thread