+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Favorite small stream tactics

Default Nymphin!!

This winter I have spent most of my time on a few southeast Idaho streams. Besides a few instances when there was a good midge hatch I have used nymphs and a few streamers.
    I like to fish a lightly weighted rubber legs in tandem with a midge larva or other smaller nymph pattern under a strike indicator. On smaller creeks like Birch creek, I fish a parasol emerger with a trailing nymph and I seem to do pretty well. I have also trailed a nymph behind a larger dry fly but haven't been too successful during the winter.
    Get Em!

Whats your guy's favorite rod weight for small stream trout and why?

I like the 3. The trout feel bigger and i still have some versatility in fly size. But, I have caught a lot of trout on my 5's, even in small streams, so I am stuck between the two.

3 wt at the biggest. I think my next rod will be a 6' 1 wt.

well, the lightest I have is a 3wt graphite rod. I'll fish that most of the time unless I feel like a little extra length in which case I'll take my 8' Steffen Bros. glass...come to think of it my 3 didn't get used but a handful of times last year...I need to rectify that and get out and explore more...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Well, the area is great, but my house is the old Post Office. It's sort of a run-down 4 room shack. Everytime I go outside people keep handing me mail......(LOL) They don't deliver mail here anymore. I have to go to the current Post Office at the bottom of the mountain to get mail.

That just proves nothing is perfect (but this is close).

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    WOW! I still think my Idaho backyard is great, but you're in paradise. Way to go!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

The back porch doesn't overlook it, but's it's just a few minutes walk. Mill Creek is at the back of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    I would like to have my back porch overlooking Jack River Falls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by terry13111 View Post
    Whats your guy's favorite rod weight for small stream trout and why? ...:
    My preference is a medium fast action 7'6" for 3 wt, which is mostly what I used the past two years. Just for this year, I am committed to fishing an 8' for 5 wt bamboo rod exclusively, and so far it has been just fine on most of the smaller water I've fished, but a bit of overkill on the smallest fish !!

I've also got a medium fast 6' for 2/3, which happens to really like a DT4F line, which I've fished with a DT3F line. It's a fun rod, just not quite as nice to cast as the 7'6" 3 wt.

WHY ?? The 7'6" will cast to / reach any water I want to fish on a small stream. It handles the smaller flies, single dries and nymphs and small streamers, and combinations quite well off a thread furled leader with a floating line. It will also nicely handle a class II full sinking line with medium size streamers when called up for that kind of duty. It will deal with the little brookies and the big bows equally well ( I've landed a number of 21" bows with this rod and it wasn't nearly maxed out ). But most importantly - it's FUN.

John
    The fish are always right.

I am making the switch to furled leaders this year. I have a 3-1/2' one on the way for my 3 weight rod. Adding 3-5 feet of tippet should give me a good small stream set up.

The lightest rod I currently own is a 7'6", 4 wt. but it's graphite and hasn't seen the water in the last 3-4 years. I am in the market for a 7', 4 wt. 2/2 bamboo for our little streams. Currently I use my 7'6" Orvis, Madison, 2/1 for a 5 wt. most of the time.

Vic

I too love small streams but find that though the fish are skittish, they are very opportunistic and will attack as soon as a dry taps the surface...a "whopper" from my secret spot!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread