+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: do you fish bamboo?

I only have a few, but for what they cost me...it is going to stay that way!

I have what I need however. A couple 4 wts and a couple of 5 wts.

I fish the 5 weight all the time. More than even my JWF. I added Sharkskin line to it and there is anything plastic can do that this can't.

The 5 weight covers BIG and small just right!

Thanks for the replies.
    If I buy one I am thinking that I will bug a local armature to build me one so it will be special to me. I know a couple of builders that I would like to have something of there work. One of these fellows wrote a book of flies and he had a chapter on his bamboo addiction and to paraphrase " It is not the casting of the bamboo rod but it is after you hook a fish that the real enjoyment of bamboo is realized"

Do you relate to this statement?
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    " It is not the casting of the bamboo rod but it is after you hook a fish that the real enjoyment of bamboo is realized"

For the most part, that statement is true (I enjoy both)....when you have a fish on, that's where bamboo really comes alive...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    If I buy one I am thinking that I will bug a local armature to build me one so it will be special to me. I know a couple of builders that I would like to have something of there work. One of these fellows wrote a book of flies and he had a chapter on his bamboo addiction and to paraphrase " It is not the casting of the bamboo rod but it is after you hook a fish that the real enjoyment of bamboo is realized"

-Jeff
    Jeff -

What happens after you hook a fish is great - but I find the casting very enjoyable, not equally enjoyable, of course, but very enjoyable.

John
    The fish are always right.

I got my first bamboo rod about 3 years ago and like many others there was no going back at least for most trout fishing situations. I now own 5 bamboo rods and would like to have a few others someday. You do need to cast as rods as you can and if possible take the opportunity to fish a few. Not sure were you are located but you can generally find guys in your area that if you ask nice would probbably meet you on a stream some place and fish one for a bit. If you are anywhere near SoCentral PA look me up.
    Bill From PA

Yeah I fish bamboo quite a bit. Glass too. I'd say I use graphite maybe only 15% of the time. I enjoying the feel of casting a bamboo rod. Graphite does what it's supposed to but it does not touch your heart. Glass gives a lot of pleasure too, and when playing a fish, maybe even more than bamboo.

I agree with PAFISHERMAN. If you can cast some do it. When choosing my custom 5 wt. I visited a good friend that has several. I wanted to know what taper Payne suited me. I decided on the 100, but there are many different tapers to choose from. Enough that I would not choose blindly. You might like a Payne taper but hate the Dickerson, etc. Bamboo is about the TAPER.

I like fishing them but I have had terrible luck with them. I have snapped two off in my hand while casting. I have only been able to afford the less expensive ones so I am sure that is why I have had such bad luck. I hope some day to be able to have a really nice one made. I think they are beutiful and would love to learn to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout View Post
    I like fishing them but I have had terrible luck with them. I have snapped two off in my hand while casting. I have only been able to afford the less expensive ones so I am sure that is why I have had such bad luck. I hope some day to be able to have a really nice one made. I think they are beutiful and would love to learn to make them.
    WOW! Talk about bad luck. I always though boo was even stronger than plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    WOW! Talk about bad luck. I always though boo was even stronger than plastic.
    One broke at the ferrel so I figured it was a defect in the building process. The other broke right in the middle of the butt section??????? I have no idea why. Like I said they were not high dollar rods just some I picked up on eBay.

+ Reply to Thread