+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you done fishing for the year?

Default Are you done fishing for the year?

Should of gone out last week while it was still hitting the mid 60's on the thermometer. Now it is supposed to get down to the 20's tonight . This afternoon I took all my rods and waders and other gear out of the trout wagon.. It is time to start doing the shows, time to tie flies: to watch others fish on my videos and DVDs.
    I had left it all in the SUV all through October and into November in hope I could get in another day or two..
    Trout are my only quarry. I do not like to fish in the cold... But today was the day. The day it went back down to the fishing room. The fishing room where it will stay till Spring. A melencholly three step process: from the vehicle, to the garage, to the fishing room. All of it. It is done!

How about you? You Southern and warm climate guys I would expect to continue on, but what about the rest of you?

2. Default

Not a chance...I fish year round and even in the dead of winter

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

mantis,

Like you, I cannot fish in cold weather and 99% of my fishing is for trout. So, from now till about mid-April, any fishing I do will be in my dreams.

Allan

fishing over for winter......

what a horrible thought!!!

winter fishing is a "PRIME" time of the year.. it quite, peaceful, and you dont have many people around...

and also.. in snow storms the fish really get turned on... and really start to feed... Just dont get caught in a blizzard or a ice storm.. get some chap stick..

chap stick.. can be used on your lips (a very smart thing to do).. and use it on the eyes of your rod.. it keeps your eyes clear of ice build up

oh... the main thing... dont fall in, in 15 degree weather.. your waders will turn to ice (not thats it ever happened to me).... YEAH RIGHT!! LOL

I do believe.. when I hang up my waders.. I'll have to be 6 foot under..

Are you serious? Winter steelheading is just around the corner. What more could one ask for? Standing in forty degree water with thirty-five degree air temp hucking flies for a fish that most think doesn't exist.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Hi Everyone,

My fishing is pretty well finished till mid April next year. We have one pond which is open till the end of November, but because it's dark when I get up and it's dark when I get of work, the only time I might get a chance is on the weekend. I did finally take all my gear out of my 4-runner last weekend, with maybe a chance of putting it back for a day. I would love to live in an area that had winter fishing for steelhead and sure wouldn't mind standing in a river with 40 degree water, I think I would be in dreamland. Some of you guys are so lucky to live in an area that has winter fishing. Maybe when a guy retires in about 15 years or I win my lottery I will be able to travel to some of these rivers and enjoy them to.

Have a GREAT WINTER fishing,
    Alan Mills (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

nighthawk Guest

No!

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

It's a great day for fly fishing!

8. Default

Nope. I?ll get into inland trout water (that stays open ? that is from ice and as allowed by the regs) as well as the Great Lakes tributaries all year. The water is usually warmer than the winter winds anyway. Just have to watch out for the icebergs?.

------------------
    No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care

Finished, now way, no how. There's still salmon, winter steelhead and sea run cutts in the salt. Over? When I can be standing in freezing water, ice in the guides so thick a fly line can't budge, fingers and ears turning various shades of blue, casting the long spey lines. You gotta be kidding?

REE

Are you joking?? I've had some of my best fishing ever in the winter. Winter steelhead are right around the corner. Midge fishing is just getting going. I fish 365 days a year and only wish there were more hours of daylight in the winter.

-John

+ Reply to Thread