+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hook Organization

Here is what I use and where I got it. I really like it because I have the stick on labels on each container telling what is in it, manufactures name, size, color, etc. I keep my dubbing, hooks and beads in their own container. That way I just have the container with the size hooks I am using and a container with whatever dubbing I am using opened and setting on my fly tying table. It is on a lazy susan type base and all I have to do is turn it to get to my hooks or dubbing.

http://tidycrafts.net/cart/index.php...products_id=28
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

For beads and hooks, I use pill boxes from wallyworld. They cost a buck or so each, have curved bottoms, and individual compartments. Cheap, very useable, and multiple colors to help organization.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Years ago when Thomas & Thomas had a regular mail order catalog, they used sell these little plastic interlocking hook storage boxes. They were little drawers, sort of like the old Mustad hook boxes, and interlocked on four sides with dovetail joints. They were pretty cheap, as I recall, and I bought 60 of them for less than 10 bucks. I epoxied them all together after getting the arrangement I wanted. To make the drawers easier to open, I added little handles made of screw eyes that I got from a lure parts supplier. That's what I've been using for close to 30 years.

Last edited by gadabout; 02-09-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Here is what I use and where I got it. I really like it because I have the stick on labels on each container telling what is in it, manufactures name, size, color, etc. I keep my dubbing, hooks and beads in their own container. That way I just have the container with the size hooks I am using and a container with whatever dubbing I am using opened and setting on my fly tying table. It is on a lazy susan type base and all I have to do is turn it to get to my hooks or dubbing.

http://tidycrafts.net/cart/index.php...products_id=28

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!

You should never have posted that link because now I am going to have to get a hold of some of the carousel type as they will have a small footprint on my already crowded desk!

Nice idea and a pity that we don't have suppliers of similar for the same price over here.

Hi.

I use this for most of my hooks, I must admit that they don't take that many hooks.
    http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/3...et_Series.html

Vulture6 great idea of yours to ask B-4 ya made a move on this... I should have, lol but I learned the harder way, I tried a number of ways, but have found collectively all the advice you just got is good advice, now for me I just leave them in there Original packet's and keep them in a plastic storage container with a lid that seals. I just look threw them when i need a hook, maybe not the best way but all the original info is still on the packedge and so I don't have any question about the hook I'm using...

Quote Originally Posted by Grubb View Post
    Vulture6 great idea of yours to ask B-4 ya made a move on this... I should have, lol but I learned the harder way, I tried a number of ways, but have found collectively all the advice you just got is good advice, now for me I just leave them in there Original packet's and keep them in a plastic storage container with a lid that seals. I just look threw them when i need a hook, maybe not the best way but all the original info is still on the packedge and so I don't have any question about the hook I'm using...
    That's exactly what I'm doing now. I use a lot of Orvis hooks (they host a warehouse clearance sale here about every 4 months so I can stock up at a decent discount, although selection is sometimes limited), and the way their packets are set up, you can't necessarily tell at a glance whether there are a lot or a few hooks in the pack. Also, my plastic "shoe box" is getting pretty full, so there's always a lot of shuffling and sorting to find what I'm after.

My wife would probably say that it is a sign that I have too many hooks / too many different kinds of hooks -- but that can't possibly be it!
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

I've been using the 20 compartment boxes like these http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/...OF-900980-0020 for several years now. Hooks don't shift compartments on their own, even when dropped from a moderate (waist height) distance. Only problem is, I now use 6 boxes and just ordered some new hooks (Grip and Partridge) and need a couple more boxes.

Those lazy susan thingys that were posted by WarrenP look mighty good and three should take care of my hook needs rather well.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread