+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: roll top desk

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    I upgraded my fly tying desk to a rolltop that I picked up from a local Goodwill store last year and I absolutely love it. Since I only got the desk top, I had to find an oak desk to match which I did through Craig's list. I customized it a bit by raising the height of the desk top about 4 inches which is a MUCH more comfortable height for me to tie flies. I found this out by researching what jewelers use for a bench and found that they use an elevated height to relieve the strain on their necks/backs. The "usual" height for a desk is around 31 inches which is perfect for writting, not for tying flies. I added a pull out work surface in the space where I elevated the desk top. I think that you will really enjoy a roll top desk, especailly if you're like many of us that don't clean your desk in between tying sessions. I know that my wife likes it a lot better than my old desk for that very reason.
    Jim,

Congrats on a very nice desk you put together here. I like it and it keeps you from doing what I'm finding I do...collect a lot of stuff! You did well with this set-up and it looks good to boot.

I bought a rather large size "student desk" and made a couple of wall shelves for my tying area (read.."room") and it seems I'm always getting more "stuff".

Looks good !!

Harleybob...if you can get decent rolltop for that price I'd say go for it, even if it means a bit of a refinish. I'd say you made a good find.

Jeremy.

Yep, I use one and its great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile

I have a teak roll top desk that I picked up in Taiwan 30 some years ago. It is in the basement family room. The best feature is that I can leave my vice set up with material set out and just roll the desk shut so my wife doesn't complain about the "unsightly" mess. I also have an old cedar lined dresser, next to the desk, with most of my tying material. I can plop down whenever I find the time to tie a few flies, unfortunately not as often as I would like, and don?t have any wasted time setting up or taking down and putting stuff away.
    Get the desk, you won?t regret it!
    John

What a nice accessory. Look at all of those drawers. I could almost be Mr. Organized with one of those. When one more kid moves out of the house, I might have to have one of those in a fly tying room.

Rick

WOW!!!!!!

Carpcrazy has a fish tank next to his tying desk to try new fly patterns in.

That is totally awesome!!!!

The desk is a bargan at 85 buks, GET IT!!

If after trying it you don't like it, you can always sell it, and get your money back.

Take care,
    chris

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

.........Get the desk. $$85 is a bargain. You will like it. Your wife will love it.
    ...................Get the desk.......................ModocDan

I'm in the market for a roll top as well. Before spending the $85 I'd find out dimensions, make, configuration & such. I've been finding that there is a big disparity in the term "roll top" desk. Most of the ones I've seen similar to the desks pictured in this thread are in the $200 - $300 range on craigslist (for my area). If it's like those and $85 grab it!

I don't have a roll top but I would love to get one just to hide the mess from my wife and dog (who is now very interested in ripping up my stuff!).

What kind of fish are in that there tank?

Thumbs up

For 85 bucks ... if the top still rolls, ... it's a DEAL. I'm currently looking for one here and I'll be hard pressed to find a working one for twice that price. (new grilfriend has a cat and he likes playing with the materials
    Christopher Chin

Maybe it's time to use the cat as material...
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread