+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Mustad Planning to Shaft Us, Replacing the Standard Hooks

I guess there are some fine hook makers out there but I started over 60 years ago with Mustad (in the nifty little boxes) and I just can't see looking around for something different now.

Default Little boxes...

Were the first boxes wooden? I have some of the really small paper boxes and of course a bunch of the plastic ones. Just curious.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    Were the first boxes wooden? I have some of the really small paper boxes and of course a bunch of the plastic ones. Just curious.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Im with JC--I go back a ways and still have a dozen or so little paper boxes. Now for the bad news ,one box has a price tag of $1.50 per 100 another a little later $2.50. One box I have "PFLUEGER FISH HOOKS" KIRBY brand-- Best by tests since 1864 Made in the USA by American Workers of American Material. Never knew of any wooden boxes. BILL

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald View Post
    Clipped ...--I go back a ways and still have a dozen or so little paper boxes. Now for the bad news ,one box has a price tag of $1.50 per 100 another a little later $2.50. BILL
    I have a few of the old boxes left too! Nifty little sliding tray!
    Prices reflect a much earlier time, ech? Gas was .25 pg, and a VW sold new for $1950!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Prices reflect a much earlier time, ech? Gas was .25 pg, and a VW sold new for $1950!!!
    You kids are showing our age!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Ain't that the truth. I bought my first VW used from my brother for 1K, 25K miles and it was still chugging at 100K which was a lot of miles in the 60's, and yes I remember the gas prices as well. Who would have thunk what was coming?
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by halomidge View Post
    stephanjay asked "Finally, you mention that Mustad has its own hook wire. After reading The Fly-Fisher's Craft, specifically the chapter on hook making, I have been looking for some hook wire to experiment with. Does Mustad have anything that a hobbiest might try their own hands at hook making with?"

For trout hook size wire try www.historicanglingenterprises.com
    Hey halomidge, that's exactly what I am looking for! Thanx much!!!

While at the Somerset show I picked up an accompanying "Conversion Guide" comparing the new 2009 model hooks that either replaced or substituted the "Clasic Model" mustads. The literature was at the booth that displayed the "Signature Fly Hooks" sign

Quote Originally Posted by fritz View Post
    While at the Somerset show I picked up an accompanying "Conversion Guide" comparing the new 2009 model hooks that either replaced or substituted the "Clasic Model" mustads. The literature was at the booth that displayed the "Signature Fly Hooks" sign
    I didn't see the conversion chart on their site yet, but copied down the info Dr Fish posted here. Good to hear that it is printed up, and I'm sure it will be added to their web site soon. BTW, how was the show?
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

I have been utilizing Mustad hooks for approximately 20 years, and am going to place an order for some of their Signature Hooks. However, their Classic 9671 Hook is 2X long with the Signature R73 equivalent being 3X long. Also, their Classic 9672 is 3X long with the Signature R74 being 4X. If the 9672 wasn't a true 3X then why would they replace it with a hook that is supposed to be a proportional 4X instead of a more accurate 3X? Is it recommended to dismiss attempting to reference the new to the old versions? Thanks.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread