+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Northern Carolina

1. Default Northern Carolina

I may have an opportunity to go fish North Carolina (Wilmington area) in April...spey rodding doesn't have to happen, however i only want to fly fish, and if i'm going that far, i'd rather be doing something in the ocean then trout fishing. I may have access to a boat, and would rather do it unguided..

any advice for that area?

never done any salt fishing before, however, i do have the connections to get pretty much any rod/reel/line combo i need, borrowed to me

Depending on how big a boat you have, you might be able to hit the bonita run, which would be a lot of fun:
    http://www.sefly.com/sarda_sarda.htm

Might be some good fishing for blues & stripers, as well. Haven't fished in Carolina in the spring in a long time, usually go for false albacore in the fall at Cape Lookout. You might want to post this question on the Outer Banks Flyfishing board too.

Regards,
    Scott

Go to Outer Banks Fly Fishing and get up with Brian Horsley. He may be able to point you to some local help. I'v stayed at Topsail (near Wilmington), but never fished other than off a pier (non ff). http://www.outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/

Default Obx

I'd second the Outer Banks. It's serene.

Call the guys at the INTRACOASTAL ANGLER in Wilmington. If Seth Vernon is working he'll be able to tell you anything that you could ever want to know about fishing around there. Some of the guys at the Great Outdoor Provision Co. in Wilmington are fairly knowledgeable as well.

Unfortunately Intracoastal Angler doesn't deal with flyfishing anymore and Seth is no longer with them. He has his own guide service (Double Haul) and I am sure can be helpful.

April is a great time in that area. Bluefish, big Spanish Mackeral, bonita and an occasional albie are the nearshore prospects. It is often productive to fish the jetties along Masonboro inlet there (by boat, they are not walkable). May also find some redfish and some specks as well.

Regards,
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by kjgallaher View Post
    Unfortunately Intracoastal Angler doesn't deal with flyfishing anymore and Seth is no longer with them. He has his own guide service (Double Haul) and I am sure can be helpful.

April is a great time in that area. Bluefish, big Spanish Mackeral, bonita and an occasional albie are the nearshore prospects. It is often productive to fish the jetties along Masonboro inlet there (by boat, they are not walkable). May also find some redfish and some specks as well.
    I wasn't aware of the changes at Intracoastal Angler. Moved back to VA in July of '07. Their website still has ff info on it though and even has Seth as a contact. That's why I recommended them as a contact.

I apologize if I have unknowingly steered anyone in the wrong direction.

+ Reply to Thread