+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: favorite bluegill rod

My favorite bluegill rods are both 4 wts. The first is a 7'11" Orvis Superfine. It's light as a feather, has a nice slow action and will let me deliver a fly like a leaf falling on the water. Yet it has a surprising amount of power and will let me cast a 4 or 6 wooly bugger about as far as I can with one of my other rods. The other is an Orvis ZeroG. This rod is much stiffer and has a much faster action than the Superfine and lets me cast a bit futher and handles the wind a bit better. I can cast all day with either of these rods and not get tired.

I just use a 6ft 2wt that I built, using the H&H Forecast kit. I built the rod in honor of my first grandsons birth. He fishes with that rod when he's with me and he caught his first fish on it. I'll give it to him when he's old enough to take care of it. It's a moderate action and when I'm going for bluegills I chuck pretty small flies. It works great.

It really depends on where I am though. Some lakes have lots of wind to contend with, and huge bass so my 5 wt comes out for that.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I have 2....My "go to" gill rod is my 8' 3wt St Croix LU...great in the wind.
    When there is little wind & fairly open water, catching 9"+ gills on the 6'6" 2wt Doughey Joey built for me gets the nod.
    Two rods just MADE for fun!!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

There is certainly an interesting variety of tools people are using for bluegills, just as I would expect for the variety of places that we find them.

Blog Entries

My favorite bluegill rod was the Cabelas Clear Creek 1wt. Fun to troll a bugger behind the tube, and an absolute blast when the grab turned out to be from a smallmouth instead.

A 6 or 7wt would be so far into overkill for me it wouldn't be much fun.

DG

SAGE Z-Axis 9' 3wt rocks the house
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

Since no one has mentioned Global Dorber, I don't know if you could find a better panfish rod at such a low price. Nice flex, and you can't beat the price.

Love their rods.

Quote Originally Posted by jsalkas View Post
    Since no one has mentioned Global Dorber, I don't know if you could find a better panfish rod at such a low price.
    Which model?

nighthawk Guest

I like to use the 9ft 8wt Orvis. That way I get a really good rip on them, launch them out of the water and the astronauts on the space station get fresh fish for dinner that evening!

Actually my favorite is a Cabela's Traditional 6'6" 2wt with a Prestige Plus Mid Arbor reel. If the wind is up a bit then I resort to my custom 5'2" 5wt, 2 piece bamboo.

I use my 7'6'' 4wt Cortland Endurance. I love this rod because i picked it up new for $40 and it feels great. Good on small streams and small ponds. I just got a 7' 3wt Brook series rod also that ive yet to use.

+ Reply to Thread