+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bedspread fly

Default bedspread fly

anyone ever heard of this fly. have searched for a recipe with no results. if you know what this is, could you post a recipe and maybe a picture or two?

I know of the fly. I've fished it. I learned how to tie it from its creator!!!

First ingredient : One large chenille bed spread!!!

Let me get some "stuff" done, and I'll round up the materials and post them for you!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I'm betting Betty is from from Missouri or close by.

The Bedspread is actually a cream colored jig invented by Bob Gaston who owns a flyshop at Bennett Spring in Missouri. The yarn supposedly came from an old bedspread that Bob's mother-in-law was fixing to throw out.

It must have been a huge bedspread as Bob has sold a gazillion of these jigs over the years. It can be deadly in the trout parks.

I'll let Betty post the recipie and photo to see if it is the same "bedspread fly" used in the Missouri trout parks.

Dave

It IS!! It IS!!! Bob is a fun guy! I love going into his shop! When he's not inventing flies, he's inventing fly tying tools!
    Just go home, so I need to haul out the stuff!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Close!

Actual Bob Gason "fly" is tied with real chenille "from a bedspread". The material is over-wrapped from the manufacturer. (re: picture)
    A base is wrapped with cream thread, a tail is set, and wrapped tight, the chenille is wrapped forward on the hook, and tied off at the jig head.
    The trout at Bennet Spring really like this one.

Sorry it's not in good focus. Having printer/disk problems. At least you can get the gist of it!

Yep, Betty. That one looks like the one used at Bennett. JJ's would probably work but it looks a little different. You are right on about the Bennett Spring trout loving that thing.

Dave

betty, thanks. where does one get that kind of chenille? also, is the tail just some of the chenille that's been unraveled?

Got mine from Bob Gaston. You may want to try calling him: 417-532-9449, or email @ gastonstackle@yahoo.com. Just tell him you need the bedspread chenille. He even has the jig heads exactly the same color as the chenille.
    Yes, the tail is the same material, just fluffed out a bit.

+ Reply to Thread