+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In the style of Griffiths

The fly is called a bivisible, it's an old Catskill pattern that's been around over 80 years.
    http://www.epinions.com/review/Umpqu...t_296716766852
    Last edited by Ray; 01-10-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    The fly is called a bivisible, it's an old Catskill pattern that's been around over 80 years.
    http://www.epinions.com/review/Umpqu...t_296716766852

Ray,

the fly I have tied is a single hackle in the style of Griffiths whereas the Bivisible incorporates an additional couple of turns of white hackle at the head to aid in it's visibility to the angler. Looking at the link you provided, the Bivisible is also 'tailed' where the Griffiths Gnat is tail less. A variant across here uses a couple of fine strands of pearl mylar to imitate a shuck and can increase the taking capabilities of this fly no end at all.
    Representative of a Midge cluster in it's fully dressed form with Peacock Herl under the hackle, Griffiths created a fly that no dry fly fisher should be without in his or her box.
    Taking this fly down to sizes 20 to 24 can fool a lot of smutting fish that would ignore any representative patterns at other times.
    Clever man was your Mr Griffiths!

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Perhaps I should have looked at this link before Ray's.

The funny thing is that across the pond we have always known this as a Griffiths Gnat even without the Peacock Herl. Great thing about fly tying is that you are always learning something new everyday!

From what I recollect, Griffiths Gnat originated on the same river, the Au Sable, this link takes you to a short description in Catches. Griffiths Gnat

Lady's Fish Finder, one to remember.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Albannach Cuileag View Post
    <snip>
    EdD, you must have me confused with someone else! I can't tie a fly to save myself!
    <snip>
    Why don't you come to the Michigan Fish-In sometime, and prove that you can't tie flies. Bring Donald Nicolson with you. We'd love to meet you two, and Roy Christie, and...

Ed

P.S. You don't have to tie 'em to save your life, just your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Why don't you come to the Michigan Fish-In sometime, and prove that you can't tie flies. Bring Donald Nicolson with you. We'd love to meet you two, and Roy Christie, and...

Ed

P.S. You don't have to tie 'em to save your life, just your wallet.
    Whoa!

I am not even in the same school as those guys let alone the same class!

Donalds site on the traditionals is excellent and Roy ties a mean fly of any description. Now that we have those gifted Scandinavians in UK Fly Dressers things are hotting up as postings of flies from everyone have increased expotentially! Scotfly is another who ties a really class fly.

Me? I am just a feather plucker!

+ Reply to Thread