+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AARRGGHH, grounded by an infirmity again! I'm stuck...

nighthawk Guest

Unhappy AARRGGHH, grounded by an infirmity again! I'm stuck...

...in this darned house with a staph infection AND allergic contact dermatitis (doctor speak for we don't know what it is but think it is poison ivy/oak/sumac or a reaction to nickle metal)!

Well the staph infection is momentarily being held in check but this dag gum rash is driving me up the walls! I think I got into the poison oak while deer hunting during this warm weather or I picked up something exotic brought back in a shipping container from overseas. I betting on poison oak/sumac and so is the doc. I was waking near the stuff while hunting. Probably got it on my hands and then I untucked my shirt because it was so stinking warm. Get that oil on hot, sweaty skin and look out. Fortunately I did not have to answer a nature call.

We spent about 4-5 hours in the hospital emergency room yesterday because my doc called off sick but she was afraid I might have cellulitis, which there is still a possibilty of but my white cell count was normal. This thing goes from just under my sternum to my belt line and from flank to flank. I other words my entire middle abdomin. Thank goodness it didn't go below my waist line. WHEW! The dang stuff was weeping so bad that my bandages were stuck to my raw skin like glue. When the docs at the e.r. saw the rash they all backup up about five feet and all said "EEEUUUWWW"! Then one of them had to go and aske the obvious question "Does it itch or hurt?"! DUH!

So now I am stuck here bathing in Calamine Lotion, taking Benedril, steroids and antibiotics. I am doped up, tired, sore, itchy, b@*%^$ and look like "A pink nightmare". Sorry about the rant but it did make me feel a little better. If any of you have any ideas on something other than Calamine Lotion that I can do for this rash I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. My drugs are starting to kick so I have to go lay down for a while. The staff at Holy Spirit Hospital in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania were very, very good to me. Mybe now I can sleep.

Mike,
    Sorry I missed your call. If you want you can call me later tonight or I can get in touch with you Wednesday.

Gas a match and an Ice Pick
    no wait that is for the other thing that makes one itch
    sorry that is all I got

Hope you feel better real soon....
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

WOW Eric

What did you do to Mom Nature, for her to get that much revenge on you...

Man just go to your happy place, which I hope is a Fly fishing place..

Sorry about your predicament, hope it all clears up soon..

Ray..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

try and oatmeal bath it works for chicken poc etc. you can get the mix at your local stores. that is what the doctors recomended for my sons itching

Cool 2nd the oatmeal

My grandmother got in a batch of poison ivy and really was messed up. The doc told her to soak in the bathtub with oatmeal - I'm sure you can 'google' a recipe. It worked.

Eric,
    This is a product that could help you: http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...&id=prod353119
    You can also find the recipe online, for making your own Oatmeal bath.
    I hope you feel better soon!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Eric, this may be not the "actual cause", but at the end of your message YOU DID mention something about "Talking to Mike"!? Which I'm guessing, is aka; "Vise Thief", "Ohiotuber" and/or "Fanny Fudge"?
    If so, don't despair my friend. I've often had odd rashes, ticks and twitches to the eyes, even stuttering, after a phone conversation with the above mentioned person.
    I'm really sorry that you're so uncomfortable, (seriously).
    As to "cures", I'd go with the Oatmeal Bath idea. It's an old recipe for hives and rashes and as stated by others; "It does work"!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

When us kids would get something like you have, our mother would say "Offer it up for the poor souls in purgatory."

Of course, that's probably not the answer you're looking for right now.

Gas, match and an ice pick? That sure takes me back to my days overseas. LMAO
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

While it isn't Poison Oak; I am the poster child for Poison Ivy. I get it all the time!

One of the times I had to go to the ER with a bad case, the doc had me soaking my soakable parts in a solution of Boric Acid which is available at the drugstore. The idea was to accelerate the drying of the blisters. I did it twice a day and it did help. Possibly a towel soaked in the stuff applied to your torso would help you too?

The other thing I was given was Benadryl.

Hydrocortisone creams help with the itching and some non-pink alternatives are out there that help with the drying...

...unless of course you look "pretty in pink".

Last edited by Bamboozle; 01-07-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Try the oatmeal bath mentioned above. It's worked wonders for our oldest son who gets the same thing every year. If he even see's poison oak or sumac he's got a major case of it.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

+ Reply to Thread