+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TFO Pro ?

Default Thanks for the feedback

Thanks, everyone, for your input. A decision is always much easier to make when you get good, solid advice that supports your thinking. I appreciate it.
    CJ

Have a 4wt pro. Like it a lot. Also,, broke tip one time, returned and had a new one in one week. Cost $25, but better than a whole new rod.

3. Default

Does anyone here have a tape measure and could do me a favor? Could you measure the length of the longest piece or the case for your TFO rod?

I was given a 5wt fly line for Christmas, but no reel or rod to go with it. What a shame.

So I'm thinking of getting a travel rod, and was looking at a TFO Pro in 8 foot or shorter with 4 pieces. Ideally that's 2 feet per section which would be fine for travel. I like seeing the good reviews on here when I found the thread.

I'm looking at the TFO Pro 7'6" 4 piece, 8' 4 piece, 9' 6 piece, or a TFO Finesse 7'9" 4 piece.

I have a 9 foot 5wt rod and 9'6" 7wt rod already. The 7wt is a Cabela's Stowaway travel rod, which I've been happy with, so I could always get one of them if the TFO Pro isn't quite the travel rod sort.

One thing I worry about is the shorter length being a problem for roll casting. Anyone have experience they could offer on roll casting a shorter TFO Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
    I'm looking at the TFO Pro 7'6" 4 piece, 8' 4 piece, 9' 6 piece, or a TFO Finesse 7'9" 4 piece.

I'm a little confused. Why don't you just get the 9', 6 piece travel rod?

I have a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional 8.5' 4wt rod (4 piece) and it fits easily in a 30" tube. That's plenty small enough to strap to the side of my backpack or to stuff in my day pack with just a bit sticking out of the top.

The 9' rod would fit in a 32" tube.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I'm a little confused. Why don't you just get the 9', 6 piece travel rod?
    Good point, but the 6 piece rod is more expensive than the 4pc. $210 vs $150.

DruLee, thanks for the measurements.

I think Redington(bought by Sage a few years ago) now has a bass rod also. I think it's cheaper than the Sage(imagine that).
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

the 6 piece rod is more expensive than the 4pc. $210 vs $150.

OK, I see.

I like my Pro's, but if price will be the deciding factor, I'd probably get another Cabelas Stowaway.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    OK, I see.

I like my Pro's, but if price will be the deciding factor, I'd probably get another Cabelas Stowaway.
    The Stowaway 7 piece rods are in the $160 range, the 5 piece ones are even cheaper.

If I really want to be money conscious, I'll not buy anything since I won't fish much for a while. I'll wait until one of them goes on sale, as they inevitably do. But we all know that's no fun

Default Have tape measure...

Does anyone here have a tape measure and could do me a favor? Could you measure the length of the longest piece or the case for your TFO rod?
    One thing I worry about is the shorter length being a problem for roll casting. Anyone have experience they could offer on roll casting a shorter TFO Pro?
    My 7'6" TFO Pro 3WT is 24.25". I have it in a 28" triangular TFO Cordura Rod Case and the sock comes just to the bottom of the zipper with the cap being above.
    As to roll casting...It is a little wimpy roll casting a WF 3wt. I actually have uplined to a 4WT Double taper and really like the result. The upline does put a bit more load into the rod... but I use it for small streams mostly and at distances under 30 feet the rod does guite well with the DT both in roll and backcast. I use the rod quite a bit on the stockers at our tailwater and have no problem with either line from 30-40-even 50 feet.
    Hope this helps!

+ Reply to Thread