+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $50 fly reel?

The Okuma SLV is nicely made but the inside edges of the line guides are quite sharp and would likely cut the line if the reel is full or unevenly spooled. I filed a radius on all edges of the line guides to correct this. Note the out side edges have a nice smooth radius.

I also like the Okuma cascade and wonder why there aren't more choices in graphite composite reels. A very durable reel with a nice smooth drag.

Thumbs down for the Cabelas Prestige Plus - stripped thread on the shaft; fine thread in a cast aluminum frame is bad combination.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by SkipS View Post
    A Pflueger Medalist will cost you half your price and will land anything you are likely to hook.
    I returned two that broke before I ever used them fishing ( clicker parts). I'm sure the old ones are/were great. Ended up with a TFO Midge cassette for my 4 wt and like it just fine. I think it was about $50

If you want to take a risk on a no name reel, there are offers in Fleabay for a series of reels from 3/4 to 7/8 that cost about $30. I have three of these, one being a 'branded' version (cost a heck of a lot more than $30!) and they are bullet proof!

See Here for comparison and Fleabay

14lb rainbow tearing off backing like nothing on earth, apply a little drag and stopped in it's tracks. The drag on these is so powerful that you can break a fly line before damaging the reel

There are two different series of the Pfleuger Medalist reels, the cheaper 1400 and the better 1500 ... prices from Cabelas run $24.99 to 42.99 for the better one.

I have the old orginal but am so afraid something might happen to it I picked up a 1500 series three years ago and it is very much going strong.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...pod&id=0011204

Blog Entries

Add me to the Hobbs Creek fanclub. Never had one fail, bluegill to steelhead and salmon.

I'll send you a link where you can buy a Ross Fly water for $54. It normall sells for $90 and has a descent drag, same as the world class Cimmeron. I own two of these. While I prefer the Lamson reels to these for this price point you won't find anything close.

Rick

I like the SA System 1 reels. They're hard to find anymore, but they're good and they're cheap.

A used Ross Cimmaron would be better but the Albright GP won sale with the extra spool at $50 or less is a good deal.
    I have the GP and it is good value.
    Last edited by Duffin Boy; 01-20-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spell

Default Orvis for $39

I just found this one on the Orvis site. Exactly what I would be going for. Hope this helps you out GaryO.
    Never brag about you equipment or skill. One is obvious and the other will be.

http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=89095

nighthawk Guest

I have one of these Martin reels in a large arbor:

http://www.troutlet.com/Martin-Mount...eels-P196.aspx

http://www.troutlet.com/Martin-Mount...eels-P194.aspx

Nice reel and worth more than the asking price.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 01-20-2009 at 07:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread