+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New vise

Default New vise

I suppose like most, I learned to tie on a Thompson Model A Pro. And used that vise for years. A few years ago I got a Dan Vise and while not bad, I do have a few issues. I am thinking of going back to a more traditional vise and keep the Dan for tying buggers and such, or when I truly need a rotary. The ones I have been looking at are Regal, HMH (Spartan) and Dyna King (Squire or Voyager).

I did read Han's vise review on another board, but the thoughts of those here are always appreciated and highly regarded.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Regal!
    I have a couple vises and nothing, to me, comes close to the Regal. Squeeze the lever, insert hook, let go of lever...start tying. Holds hooks like nobody's bizness. Quick, simple, easy. I don't care alot for jacking around with tons of knobs and such.
    My Regal vise rotates...not a "true rotary" but handy for inspecting the far side of the fly, etc.

Lots of good vises out there. With most, it's just a matter or personal preference. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    Mark 1:17

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinG View Post
    Regal!
    I have a couple vises and nothing, to me, comes close to the Regal. Squeeze the lever, insert hook, let go of lever...start tying. Holds hooks like nobody's bizness. Quick, simple, easy. I don't care alot for jacking around with tons of knobs and such.
    My Regal vise rotates...not a "true rotary" but handy for inspecting the far side of the fly, etc.

Lots of good vises out there. With most, it's just a matter or personal preference. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    I had a Regal and it's a great vise. I bought an attach that made it true rotary. Maybe they're still available?
    Steve

Blog Entries

Well I decided to get a new vise for my birthday/holiday present combined. (My birthday is a week before Christmas actually) I ordered a HMH Spartan this afternoon. I liked the Standard, but it was not worth an extra one hundred to me. If I had the money to blow on any one vise, I wouldn't know which one for sure. But I like the fact the Spartan is made in Maine. It has a life time warranty. Plus I have heard excellent feed back on customer service if there is a problem. That to me is worth a little extra. There are a few good vises out there in this price range. I think it would be nice if they had a bunch of vises you could go try out. But there isn't such a thing around me. So I just made the best choice possible for my situation, and finances. I had about 4-5 vises on my short list I was looking at, but decided to get an HMH vise. I will let ya know what I think when it gets here. I also liked the fact they have videos you can see how it works on You Tube, and their web site. Griffin did not have that. Dan Vise and Dyna King were others I seriously considered.
    Last edited by kelkay; 12-16-2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Al & Gretchen

I don't know what warranty on the Danvise is in writing...and I have 2 of them...but I am very confident that they ..the Beaty's...will stand behind the vises...at least for their life times.

I must say that I really like my Regal. It holds 24's and 3/0s. Open clamp insert hook release lever and it never, ever moves until you open the jaws again. Its small and easily folds up. I can't say enough good things about it.

hello- i'm new to the forum- been lurkin' w/out postin'... so i thought i might add my .02- the HMH spartan is a great vise! simple, solid and smooth...
    i love mine!
    have fun what ever you decide on!
    , aquabone.

Regal for sure. I love mine with stainless jaws. It is so simple and will last forever.

Fatman Guest

Simple and like the Thompson A, Dyna_King Kingfisher. Simple vise to use and solid holding power. I still have and use my Thompson though.

Fatman

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I don't know what warranty on the Danvise is in writing...and I have 2 of them...but I am very confident that they ..the Beaty's...will stand behind the vises...at least for their life times.
    Duck

Nothing wrong with the Dan Vise. In fact, a year or so ago I did send it to Al for some warranty work. My only complaint is the clamp. I don't have a permanent tying table. If you try and use it on a table with a beveled or routed edge you're hosed. Tried a pedestal and have to use a C clamp to hold it from moving around. Seems a bit much to have to go through to tie a few flys. Still for the price and it being a true rotary, for the right set up I would recommend it.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread