+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you put your name, address and or phone number on your ge

Default Do you put your name, address and or phone number on your ge

Occasionally while walking to a stream I will find some item or other on the ground or in the shallows of the stream itself. Nippers on a pull pin, small box of flies, one time a net...somebody's lunch and twice a ziplock bag with a license in it. One of them also had a couple of bucks.
    Once a dozen years or so ago I also found a nice cane rod and Hardy reel just leaning against a tree. When ever it is possible I will return the item,if not marked I check the local shops to see if anyone is missing anything.. Very seldom is there a name or phone number or any other marking on this stuff.
    I left the rod at a shop with my card. Surely this is one thing someone would come back for. I returned 2 weeks later and someone had picked up the rod. No name, no note...Just said to say "Thanks".
    A little thank you note would have been nice. Then I began to wonder...Did someone really pick it up?????
    So, how about you? Do you mark your stuff? And have you found anything along a stream?

Blog Entries

My son found a Womans purse with all the credit cards but no money or Id. We found Her phone number on a Motel recite in the purse . He turned it into the cops who believe it or don't suggested that We call the woman In Alberta and let her know . The cops said they would only keep it and give it to her in person but don't send things onward . We called the next day and She asked us to courier it out to her which we did . Nice lady she sent Me $25.00 to give to my son . If the motel recite wasn't in her purse she might not have got it back.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

My fly boxes all have my name and phone number.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

mantis,

When I was a kid in high school, a similar situation happened. I left something of value at an office and when I returned to find out if it had been claimed,the person said it had. No note. Not even a message the person said 'thank you'. If name,addy or phone I will contact the owner. If not I might ask around if anyone lost 'something'. Otherwise, after 48 hours, I claim it as mine.

Allan

This got me thinking. Not all my stuff is marked and what is is not very water resistant.
    I have Dymo "Letra Tag" lable maker and out door tape for it. This one does not emboss the tape so it's flat and I can get 2 lines of print on the tape.
    Guess what I'll be doing in the off season?

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

No, I can't say I do. But I do record serial numbers, make and models and take photo's for insurance purposes.

I'm on the water more than most I suspect and have a tendency to find things, all manner of things fairly often. That's probably a mechanism of passing through areas where large numbers of other recreationists gather. While I do find something almost everyday ( often garbage that needs to hauled out ), fly gear makes up a very small portion of what turns up.

With most items I tend to post the find on stationary bulletin boards found within the jurisdiction where the item was found. Where that's not available I'll drop it by a local law enforcement or rangers office. Things of lesser value I tend to just place in obvious areas where those traversing the area are likely to find them.

Like for instance last Tuesday, I was walking the banks of a large western lake I frequent which is well into it's annual draw down. I found right at waters edge a new Danforth anchor with it's price tag still affixed and all new rigging in place. Being an optimist I started toting away on the anchor line which led off into the depths ~ a hundred feet of anchor line later, no boat....

I did haul the anchor back to launch ramp. I doubt the original owner found it or even came looking for it, hopefully the new owner will secure the line to the boat, before trying to set anchor.

Best, Dave

David, Jack, maybe you could let the rest of us know where you got the label maker and what it cost..Thanks..

mantis,
    Good post. I heve NEVER marked my gear, but you've opened my eyes & I will definitely mark flyboxes, wallets, chestpack, etc. Just this year I lost a flywallet with ALL my ant patterns....& I am a FREAK for ants...I was distraut!
    As far as finding things, nothing fishing related, but plenty of golf clubs...often expensive ones. In EVERY instance, I took leave of my group, searched out, & found the owners.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

My wallet fell out of my pants pocket once when i got dumped in the lake by my uncle on the boat, it was funny till i discovered my wallet was gone.

80 bucks my id and SIN nubmer, and some bank reciepts. well some lady found it however my id and Social sercurity number gone just the cash and bank reciepts, she brought the wallet to my bank and my bank called me. That was something.

Howdy Gang,
    Back in '86 I was fishing the Gibbon in YNP.
    I was changing flies and lost my ballance.
    Dropping my fly box of Yellowstone type flies. At that time I only had one box of flies of the Yellowstone area. Come to think of it I only had one box of flies with me.
    There it went faster than I could run.
    I tried to follow it but the bank was too rough to traverse. Oh well back to camp
    That night I was camping in Canyon Camp Ground. I was standing in the drive way teaching my grandson to cast. This older man came up and asked if I was from Texas?. I said Yes. He asked if my Name was Allen Something. I again said yes. He then asked if I had lost a fly box? Yes I again responed. He had found them late that day about two miles down from were I had lost mine. On the box was what was left of my name and address. He could make out Texas and my first name. Then seeing some one fly casting and being from Texas, Not that 100s of other were not from Texas. I was lucky. I have over the years forgotten his name but not the warm feelings I have for him.
    Thanks Friend is all I can say

ol Al

+ Reply to Thread