+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't take a chance of "busting" your rod

... ummm, a machete?
    Oh, Bill! It sounds like you may be speaking from recent experience! I've mentioned before, I'd rather forage in using a Forcast rod than a Sage. The probabilities of coming out with the same number of pieces as going in doesn't fear me as much when there's less on the line. (No that doesn't mean I'll sacrifice my Forcast rods. They're really sweet). When we hike in, or out distances, in rough terrain, I'll usually use a tube. The rods I use are all multipieced, so the tube is short and doesn't get in the way when it's strapped to my hip pack. (was going to say butt pack, but this is a classy site, and I need to use some decorum!)

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Carrying a tube for my 6 wgt to the stream would mean having to lug the darn case around with me all day. And its 4 1/2 feet long! No, I think that I'll stick to the old rod in sock method but I'm still open to better suggestions.

I have seen tip tops pulled off and other problems resulting from rods being carried butt first over around tnd through multi flora rose bushes etc.

Get stuck in one of those darn bushes and you'll have one heck of a time getting out.
    For those of you who have never experienced these good for nothing imports, they have thorns like great big fish hook barbs, about 2 to 4 to the inch, and all pointing toward the roots. Trying to get out of those things causes deep scratches and lines can be damaged too.

If you don't have them, you're very fortunate! You might try to slow them down if they head your way but eventually they'll get ya!

If you are out fishing and you hear an awful scream followed by a tremendous roar and a string of profanity you'll know I'm stuck in a bush within a mile or two of you so maybe we can meet for lunch if I ever get out.

Ol' Bill

I don't know Bill...I've never ........... .... .....
    No I'm not going to say it and jinx myself! Just careful what I walk thru. Sometimes I don't string up and sometimes I do but I always use a 2 piece rod and always go rod but forward with the tips angled in behind me..
    For some reason after reading your various posts I picture you looking like Henry Fonda in 'On Golden Pond." Am I close?

I've seen Bill and I can absolutely tell you that he looks EXACTLY like Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Blog Entries

Well snipe - looks like you were doing it right all along.

We got rose. I watched a guy deer hunting fight his way through about a half-acre of the stuff. Just as he made it to the edge a branch that had been stuck on his stocking cap, catapulted the hat back into the patch about 10 yards. I won't say what he said - but I'd guess that pretty orange hat is still there if anyone wants it. Nasty stuff.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Now ya see what I've been griping about? HydeHunter knows. That stuff is terrible and is worthy of an eradication program by the Army, Navy and Airforce as soon as they get things done over yonder!

In that stuff, we have all the enemy we will ever need for the next 50 years. A good tough enemy that knows how to fight back and tear things all to blazes. Hand to hand combat to be avoided.. it the "Roses" winning every time!

It wasn't around when I grew up...how the devil does one hunt grouse and bunnies now a days anyway.

Betty,
    Nope, I "busted" only two flyrods in my life but I've had a war with the MFR.

Diane,
    When is your operation? Wishin' you the best and hope you'll come to the mall to tie when you recover.

Gosh...Do you really think I look like Henry Fonda? Naw... can't be I ain't rich.

Ol' Bill

Snipe;
    I know how you feel about rose, we've got lots of blackberry. Whent Grouse hunting with Rainbowchaser with my sleaves rolled up. Came out looking like I had part time job sortin' tomcats!!
    To Stay with the thread. I carry my rod butt forward.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Yeah Jack you lost so much blood as I recall that we had to go to a tavern and get you rehydrated. I've never broken a rod blank walking to and from the stream but have had to replace a guide that got pulled crooked while stumbling around in the dark.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Hiking to a fishing spot is not usually the problem, its when your fishing and see a spot 100 yards down stream that looks better. So you hike down stream with your rod setup ready to cast. That is where you will bust your rod. Its trying to short cut the rod knockdown/setup time that will get you in the end.
    If you want to bust a rod tip real fast try hiking through brush with a lined up 14ft spey.. FB.

yep! we've got the roses in So. MO, and in South Dakota, the roses, thistle, and willow ... all fun to try to get through! the shorter the rod (or pieces) the easier it is.
    Snipe ... ya want me to build you a 5 piece 866?

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread