+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling Fly Tyers

7X,

If you have your heart set on a Coyote from Fishpond, I can see if my wife wants to sell her's. As a tier of Atlantic Salmon flies, she outgrew it quickly and it's in almost new condition. Let me know.

John,

Fishpond does make some durable products. I, too, am using a chest pack from Fishpond. Tough as a railroad spike. Well thought out and well made.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Smile

i have a small tackle box that I use as my trout travel tying kit. It doesn't hold all my stuff, but so far it has served me well.

Ron Eagle Elk, thanks for your offer. im getting more ideas and good suggestions here. and your right on i really have my eye on that fishpond. but geesshh why the hefty price? for pete sakes

7x,

That Fish Pond Coyote bag is well thought out and built to last. Quality costs dearly. My wife thought it was worth every penny until she outgrew it. I looked at the pile of stuff I carry and went straight for the carry-on luggage.

Check out the new case from Regal... its more expensive, but I think really well thought out.

7X:

What I've discovered about tying on the road for the NON-professional, NON-show tyer (me) is; for the most part you only end up tying a few patterns, therefore you need a lot less stuff.

The other thing I found out was, there is always a tool or something else I wished I had on the road that I didn't have in my travel kit. That made duplication of just about everything a necessity if I wanted to keep my travel kit packed and ready to go at all times.

Finally I found out that unless I worked really hard at downsizing which seemed to defeat the purpose; all of the specialized bags were inadequate at times if I wanted the kit to be ready to go and packed with EVERYTHING I might need. So for me the separate kit thing didn't make a whole lot of sense unless I tied FREQUENTLY on the road which I don't.

As a result I "bagged" the travel kit idea and set up my home tying bench to facilitate easy packing of stuff into a large CHEAP zippered duffel or two. What works best for me on the road is what works at home; the same tools and materials stored simply & conveniently.

This is the way I store my stuff at home:
    • I keep a good selection of my various thread colors & sizes loaded on bobbins and they along with ALL of my tools are kept in a large divided Plano box in the center drawer of my fly tying desk.
    • Extra thread, wire, floss and other spooled stuff is kept in smaller labeled Plano type boxes.
    • My working quantities of dubbing and any other material except for hackle & feathers are kept in the original packaging separated by color in large Ziploc bags; olive/green, black, brown, grey, tan, white/yellow/orange.
    • Feathers, hackle and necks are kept in large Rubbermaid bins in the original Ziploc bags.
    • Hooks are stored in divided plastic hook boxes separated by type; dry, wet, streamer.
    • Beads, dumbbells and coneheads are kept in divided plastic boxes.
    I bought a "travel" vise & "travel" lamp.

When I go on the road I decide what flies I may NEED to tie in addition to any I may WANT to tie. Then I grab a large duffel and throw in the Plano with all of my tools along with my travel vise and light. Then knowing what flies I plan to tie I'll throw in what ever Ziploc bags have the color of dubbing & materials I need along with the requisite hook boxes. If necessary I'll also toss any other materials I may require in their smaller Plano boxes like spooled wire, floss or beads.

Yea it is a pain to pack & unpack all the stuff but knowing how much stuff I would need to buy to duplicate all of my tools and materials so I had a separate kit which DIDN'T require any unpacking; I just figured it made more sense for me to store it so it can be easily packed and just buy an extra vise & lamp.

Just another idea if you didn't want to do the separate kit thing.

You know that Fispond sells a cheaper bag: Fishpond Road Trip Fish Bag Compact Fly Tying Kit
    Here is a link on ebay, I own this one and like it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fishpond-Road-Tr...QQcmdZViewItem

The price is about $90
    Last edited by thorarinna; 12-01-2008 at 07:49 PM.

I may yet end up with this one. Looks good & not a bad price.
    http://www.flyhatch.com/xq/ASP.produ...EC/product.htm

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Ohiotuber,

I was under the impression the Fly Hive folks went out of business, it least that was rumored. If not, that is a good deal, especially at that price.

REE

If I am going on a fishing trip, I bring my vise, tools, hooks and thread. A pocket in my kit bag serves this purpose. I buy the materials for a couple local patterns at the shop if I need them. Or just buy a few flies to use, and then disect them at home to tie up for next time. Otherwise I am carrying a bunch of materials for a bunch of patterns I already have in my boxes with me. If I am going somewhere just to tie I bring a rolling carryon bag big enough for my material folders packed inside.

I thought about the fishpond bag a lot, but I just didn't think I'd use it. A lot of money for something that would just sit in a closet.

+ Reply to Thread