+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New one

Blog Entries

Default New one

I finished this over the weekend. It is a 7' 8/9 weight on a casting blank. Pretty stiff, I will try a 9 wf floating maybe a 10 wf floating. I thought it would be good for big bass gurglers and wind resistant poppers. -Greg-

Nice build. Do you turn your own cork?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

This is the first cork grip I have turned. I had only done a couple fighting butts before. Yesterday I turned a grip for a seven weight, it only took a few minutes and it's fun to do. I also wanted to try out the macro setting on my Pentax. In full size it makes the Gudebrod A thread look like rope!

That's my next project. a 7' 9wt for fishing saltwater out of the kayak.

Greg
    What blank did you use and why did you choose it ?
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Nice clean build Greg. Nice job on the grip as well, mixing in the green burl to match the trim on the wraps.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Smernsky. It's nice to get a compliment from you, you do nice work. In fact, your grips inspired me to do this one. It's a start.

Dudley, it is a Batson IP840. I thought it would be fun for stripers and largemouth.

I decided on it based on the CCS data from Rodbuilder.org.

http://www.superbob.org/CC_Data.htm

It is a ultra light med-fast action casting rod, which should translate to a fast action fly rod. It has the power of a 8/9 weight. I lawn casted it with a wf8f, with 30'-40' of line out, a very tight loop with a fast action. Probably better with a wf9f. I would like to try it with one of the Sage bass lines. I might try a 10 if I can get my hands on a cheap wf10f.

I have more ideas on this if you're interested.

Greg

+ Reply to Thread