+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross vs. Lamson

Question Ross vs. Lamson

I'm going to splurge and purchase a Lamson Litespeed or Ross Evolution (for 5 weight line), and I would like to have any input and insight concerning durability, dependibility, quality of drag, etc. I'd appreciate hearing what my fellow FAOLers think. By the way, are both of these made in the U.S.A.?
    Thanks,
    ggh

Blog Entries

Default Ross is my choice

Ross is the one i know--the Evolution is really good. when i do get a fish on the reel (not often), there is a wonderful quality of smooth strength to it. i don't feel this on the newer, less expensive Ross reels made overseas, but it's sure there on the domestic ones.

i also really appreciate the easy, one-handed way the reel can be removed and replaced when i need to get sand and shtuff out after dropping it.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Default Ross vs. Lamson

I think Ross has more capacity, which you will appreciate with bigger, more powerfull fish.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

Another Ross Evolution fan here!

I don't know if your decision will be based on which reel is "better" since I think they are both excellent reels. I picked Ross because the place I bought mine at recommended them and I have had such great luck with mine that I never looked back.

Default Either is good choice

I own both models i like the Ross rhythm and Evolutions for my 3-5 wt rods. I really like the litespeed for 6wt-8wts hope this helps but i will mention Galvan reels are my favorite might consider one.
    Who are you gonna believe me or your own eyes?
    troutmaster1@hotmail.com

I would go with the Lamson myself.
    The conical drag on the Lamson is top-shelf.
    The last Ross reel I had I sold it and bought another Lamson Velocity.
    Mark 1:17

Thumbs up Waterworks Lamson for sure

When I was considering a new reel, I too was considering the Ross vs. the Lamson. I felt that there was a big hole in the Ross line up in the 5/6 wt at the time so I went with the Lamson and have not been disappointed!

The conical drag has already been mentioned but deserves a second recommendation. While the Ross drag is very good, there is, like all disk drags, a noticeable startup force. The conical drag, on the other hand is smoothe as silk!

I also agree with the post regarding those Ross that are made in the US vs. the imported. All of the Waterworks Lamson are made in the US.

I have the Lamson Litespeed on a 6 wt. and have more than enough line and backing to tangle with the trophy Kenai River rainbows and even sockeye salmon (however I feel greatly undergunned with a 6 wt).

Happy Trails

Do yourself a favor and get the Lamson. The drag will not be outdone by anything Ross. The Ross drags when compared side by side with the Lamson, are not near as smooth as the Lamson. The Lamson drag can withstand any fish you want to throw at it, and, better yet, you cannot scratch the surface on a Lamson without really trying to.

I find all this discussion of the merits of the Lamson drag somewhat amusing considering we are talking about a reel for a 5 weight. What exactly do you think he's going to be going after? Dorado?

While I do not have a Litespeed, I do have a Velocity and while they are indeed first rate reels, I really don't like how long it takes to pick up line with a Lamson. I quite often find myself with a lot of slack line that I need to pick up quickly, typically when fishing from a drift boat, but not exclusively. To pick up line when you have a fish on, you need a reel that will "free" spool quickly such that you can maintain tension on the fish while spinning the reel to pick up the slack line at your feet. The Lamsons do not spin anywhere near as quickly as the Ross reels.

The only downside of the Evolution is that it looks so dainty/fragile with all that porting. I always thought the Rhythm was a better choice but they've stopped making them and I don't know anything about the replacements. For a general purpose trout reel, I think the Evolution is the best choice. If we were talking about larger game, I might lean more towards the Lamson but for the size you are thinking of, I think the Evolution is a hard act to beat.

I can't compare because I've never used a Lampson. I have 3 Ross Rhythm reels (1.5, and 2 3 size). Rhythm was recently discontinued and can be found for a very good price out there. This series has the same drag as the Evolution.

So far, they have been bullet proof for me.

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread