+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A River Runs Through it

Default A River Runs Through it

I'm posting this question because I've heard a lot from veteran fly fishers about how the popularity of fly fishing took off after the movie "A River Runs Through it" came out. I've been a fly fisher since I was 12, so that places me in the sport before the movie came out. But, I guess I never really payed attention to how much the sport was growing or why it was growing, so I'd like to hear from some seasoned fishers about what the sport was like pre-"River" compared to what it is today, and if the movie had that much of an influence on the sport.

Certainly not scientific conclusion: I don't think the popularity of fly fishing has changed much since the movie. Sure, maybe there was an immediate jump, but then it appears to have settled down and back to the level it was. A reasonable way to assess popularity may be by the number of fishing licenses issued. Perhaps one change that's taken place is in the destinations?

By the way, my fly fishing experience pre-dates the movie and is geographically limited.

Allan

My experience pre-dates graphite. JC's experience pre-dates dirt. I think the movie may have had an impact, coupled with fly fishing shows on ESPN. I also wonder if for some if it wasn't just a natural progression for some anglers. I think there can come a point where you can get burned out throwing plugs and plastic. Especially when it comes to warm water. But who knows?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

The movie came out in '92 (I think), so I guess I pre-date it too.

In Quebec, on FF water, there wasn't a long term change. IMHO, Quebecer's are fanatics when it comes to leisure activities, ... they'll go gung ho on an activity for a few years, then only the die hards stick with it, ... the others will move on to the newest "craze". (Snow boarding, fitness centers, cycling, inline skates, ...)

I still see a few anglers arriving that stepped right out of a catalogue, but not so many as 10 years ago.

I don't feel (imho) that the "film" did any harm to the sport up here. Hey, if it means one return angler, I'm for it.

Then again, we are trying to PROMOTE the river here, not thin out the crowds.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

With no facts to base it on, all I have left is my humble opinion. I would imagine that there was a spike after the movie came out, and I'm sure some stayed with it, but most probably went on to something else later when the next big hobby hit the screens.
    Kind of a shame those folks didn't take so well to Rollerball (The original with James Caan).
    Now THAT would be something to see.

------------------
    Elliott W.

I tie flies to give the fish something to laugh about.
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

6. Default

If "River" did influence the popluarity of fly fishing since '92, should we call it the "Pitt Effect"?

Ben

Judging by the increase in family memberships in my club here in Phoenix over the last 6 or 7 years, there is no question but that the sport is growing. Our club has more than doubled in size to more than 280 active members during that period. Of course there are other factors involved but I'd say the primary reason is simple growth of the sport.

I don't believe "River" had much more than a momentary effect. It's still one of my favorite movies but it could have been set on a pond in Georga with the same story-line but for bait fishing and have the same overall end result - it's all about a father and the effect he had on his sons.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

[This message has been edited by Silvertop2 (edited 22 February 2005).]

I dang near pre-date the birth of the author! Realize that this isn't exactly the Madison or the Catskills around here, but over the years I've had a rather steady number of people joining in my beginners fly tying course through community ed. It's sort of like what has happened to farming. Farms have gotten bigger and bigger, and there are fewer an fewer farmers. Technology rules the lives of not just them and their families, but, really, every small prairie town. Meanwhile, an undercurrent of sustainable, organic type farmers are coming in under the radar. Our "new beginnings" farmer classes are packed and growing every year. What, praytell is the correlation? Let's take fishing. Although I started fly fishing back when I was about 10 or 11, which would have been around 1954 or so, I don't even believe we'd seen spinning reels. Not many of them, at least. So it was bait casting or fly fishing, and I hated those bird nests. Fly fishing was just more fun. After I left home I started evolving into spin fishing, and was doing about 50-50, depending on who I as fishing with. If I was alone, I'd fly fish. Otherwise I'd buddy up and use spinning gear, especially with the onslaught of plastics. Then one very cold January morning I was watching Al Linder's In-Fisherman show, and by now I was already becoming overwhelmed with the advances in fishing technology. Al was introducing the underwater camera. I told my wife, "That's it. This has gone too far." That same year we hosted an exchange student from Norway who was an excellent fly fisher and tyer, and I took it upon myself to introduce this trout/salmon guy to warmwater fly fishing. I've not looked back since. Excuse my tangent. My classes are now full of people who are looking for something hands-on. Some way of being more in touch with nature and the simpler things, if you will, and some of that is getting away from the on-going leaps in spin fishing technology and bass boat technology. This is an undercurrent not unlike what we're seeing on the prairie farms around here. What a beautiful book. What a beautiful movie. Each in their own right. On our first night of class four weeks ago I actually asked the class who had seen the movie or read the book. Maybe one of the six. Our youngest tyer probably wasn't even born when the movie came out. Time marches on, and there are those who are affected by technology and there are those who are affected what's beneath a rock in the stream. I prefer the company of the latter. JGW

I've enjoyed the responses to the question. The sport is growing and for a variety of different reasons, I'm sure.

There was a spike in the numbers of fly fishermen that came into the sport after that movie. But out here the numbers have droped at least as far as the fly shops go. I was told that there are about 100 shops that will go out of business across the country this year. But many of them should not have gone into business anyway. At least not in the areas were they opened there shops. Areas like ours just can't support the number of shops that are here. Seems some people have to learn the hard way. Same with the numbers of guides out here. They all move here and want to be a guide. When in fact there are so many of them that no one makes a living doing it. The guides and shops that have been in business for a lot of years still seem to make it, it is the new shops and guides that bite the bullet it seems.
    The number of fishermen out here was down last year also. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 22 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread