+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Whats your favorite fly.....

Abel TR1 -

The fish are always right.

I have 3 Ross Rhythm reels, 1 Orivs Mid Arbor, 1 Orvis BBS, 2 Ross Flystart, and 1 Cabelas Prestige. I'm kind of a gear junkie. My wife frequently reminds me that I have more guitars than I do talent...

Here's what I've found from the reels I have ranging from inexpensive to mid priced (to upper mid priced with the Ross)

1. They all work
    2. The difference in weight isn't really noticable once it's on the rod and filled with backing and line.
    3. The drags are acceptable on all of them. I rarely get a fish on the reel but have had a couple bass take me almost to the backing eve though I've never seen my backing except when I'm putting on new line or cleaning my line).
    4. The more expensive reels sure are pretty.
    5. I really like the, now discontinued, Ross Rhythm series.

OK, I like the feel and quality of the higher end reels. For me, the Ross Rhythm were a good balance between cost and quality. They looked and felt like fine pieces of equipment, but the price didn't break the bank either.

My Orvis BBS and Orvis Mid Arbor are the same. A good balance between reasonable price and fine equipment.

The Cabela's Prestige is a low end (40.00 range) reel. It works fine, is rugged, the drag works, etc. There's nothing wrong with the reel and it will serve me until I'm too old to be out fishing (which I hope is many years in the distant future). However, it is not finished as well and is not a pretty reel in anyone's book.

Here's the way I see these things. If I pay 200 for a reel and keep it for 8 years, that reel cost me 25.00 per year (a little over 2.00 per month).

Jeff

I "get" the idea that my favorite reel is the one on which I am catching a fish. But flyfishing is so much more to me than just catching fish. It's hard to explain but I am sure many of you feel the same.

Most of my fishing is for stream bred trout.

I have used many different price range of reels from the kind that comes in the plastic packaged fly-fishing outfit for a kid to the kind that cost close to $500.

While all of the reels basically do the same job and have fair quality(except the few cheap ones I have had that essentially disintegrated over time). The more expensive reels simply feel better, they are smoother and lighter, finer in manufacturing. They are just 'nicer'. It's kind of like comparing a Chevy with a Cadillac - they really do the same job but that's where the comparison stops.

My current favorite is an Orvis CFO. I am hoping to acquire a Bogdon, more just to have than to fish....

if i had to pick just ONE reel for trout fishing, i think it would be either the ross evolution series, or the Orvis Battenkill barstock. both pretty reels and rather light...

reel for saltwater it would be between the orvis mach , ross canyon BG, or the a tibor- probably the riptide... seen someone bust an abel.. that was real freaky... actually, what i dont hear about much on the forums (except the australian saltwater fly forum), is the shilton... those seem to be very good...

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Anything cheap, tough and reliable!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    Doesn't matter. I use it to house my line between fishing trips
    I'm with Big Bad Wulff on this one. LMB, brim and most of the trout I catch don't put much strain on the reel. If I were doing salmon, bones, tarpon or permit, I would be a lot more interested in reels. I pretty much go with anything cheap, tough and reliable---wait a minute, that's a Medalist. 8T

The 1 I am using at the time.I use a Ross Cimmaron2, an Orvis BBSIII,an Orvis BBSII,and a Litespeed 1.5 and enjoy them all.

I own 10 reels and many fly fisherman own many more than I. For an inexpensive reel I really like the Pfleuger Trions. I have owned two of them. They are machined and I actually use the drag since one of my favorite target species is carp. No they are not tarpon, but they will take you into your backing on a regular basis and these reels have stood up for me.

Yes I like the two Battenkill LA that I have and my other favorites are also the Lamson Waterworks Radius reels that I own.

I have a plastic body Cortland fly reel that is just pure junk. No it's not the the drag doesn't work either. The spool fits the body of the reel so loosly that when stripping, the fly line will come out between the body and spool. This reel should not be considered by anyone. In the Ultra cheap, read inexpensive department, the Medialists have proven themselves as line holders but this reel doesn't even make that minimum requirement.

Rick

I have 7 (?) Medalists, three of which have been used in salt water extensively. One for nearly 30 years.
    They are much more than just line holders.

My other favorite reel would have to be the SA System II
    I have three of those that get regular use.

I have maybe a dozen others, some of which are vintage, others more modern.
    Only two would I not recommend...both sold by Cabelas
    Not to say all reels sold by Cabelas are junk
    I have a third Cabelas reel that I like very much
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I use multiplier reels only. I fish only for big fish and don't want to play with a 15th Century line holder. A good choice is a Martin Mod 72 which has a 3:1 ratio and allows proper playing of fish for about $30. It has open gears so you don't lay it down in the sand.

Hardy LRH Lightweight. There's something appealing about a reel that will last several lifetimes.

I have a friend that is in his upper eighties. He fishes nearly every day, and has done so for over 50 years. His reel of choice is an LRH. Three years ago, he complained that the drag was almost non-existant anymore. I offered to rebuild the reel for him, and contacted Hardy to obtain parts. It cost less than $11 to get new springs, pawls, and a new line guard (worn almost in half from stripping line at too steep an angle). My friend had oiled and cleaned the reel once a year, and the bushing in the spool was still in fine shape.

How many reels can you rebuild for $11 nearly fifty years after it was built?

+ Reply to Thread