+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: That time of year again!

1. Default

The temperature in Austin, TX has been in the 80s, maybe the 70s. It's supposed to get down to 50 degrees later this week. The weather has been great for fishing. I caught a bunch of Rio Grande perch, Guadalupe bass, sunfish, and largemouths last weekend. It will time to fish for 20"+ trout on the Guadlupe River in another month.

The middle of summer is the only bad time for fishing around here. Even then, the fishing on the gulf coast is good. It's just a 4.5 hour drive.

Default Picking up

It's getting great hear with the big browns but i am layed up from shoulder surgery...uhh!

Let me report back to you after Sunday. I've not been around for any weekends for several weeks, and most of my nights are tied up with my newspaper and the political season. Come Sunday! JGW

As of about 10 days ago the fishing was still holding up for me though the productive spots have become far fewer and the hours the fishing was good much shorter. Our local municipal lake still had a pretty good bite around sunset for bluegills. On calm evenings I had to scout the shore for areas where the fish were rising and then a small bead head wooly bugger or epoxy minnow brought sucess. There was also one area where some cattails were still green that also was good. As soon as I get a chance I'll have to check that spot again.
    The last time I was out in my kayak at Snyder's Bend I ran into some spots the fishing was fast & furious for smallish bluegills and perch. Again the fly I used was a small bead head wooly bugger.
    I plan on trying to stay with the fish until these lakes freeze over. That didn't happen last year but I have hopes for this year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tracy
    There's a chill in the air here in Texas. <snip>

According to my Texas to (American) English dictionary, that means that mights are dipping down into the 70s. Is that about right?

Ed

I thought the same thing Ed, Tracy I was in Iowa trout fishing on Tuesday since the Wisconsin trout season is closed. On the way over in the morning it was 26 F and the ice in the guides didn't stop forming until about 10 am. Now tell me again about the chill in the TX air I know that it is all relative but your statement did make me smile.

As far as the local fishing, I am still lamenting the close of our Wis trout season and hence the trip to Iowa. I will be chasing some warm water fish still like gills and carp on the fly rod and look forward to some good action with a spattering of salmon and steelhead thrown in the mix.

Rick

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Brim are beginning to disappear

Here in Upstate SC, the brim are beginning to disappear from the shallower water. Bass, surprizingly enough, are still active. Hybrids are improving though I haven't caught one this fall.

I did not get any fishing done this last week.
    Friday was involved in making 42 gallons of apple cider (not hard).

Monday was a trip to the bicycle shop to get my bike put back together.

Rick

Blog Entries

Clay, down here we call 26 F way the heck below "chill" and flat out cold. That's cold enough for us Tennesseans to go looking for a coat (and not just a windbreaker). Scary stuff, that freezing weather. Brrrr.....

Ed, wearing short sleeves today

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Clay, down here we call 26 F way the heck below "chill" and flat out cold. That's cold enough for us Tennesseans to go looking for a coat (and not just a windbreaker). Scary stuff, that freezing weather. Brrrr.....

Ed, wearing short sleeves today
    What?....................Water don't even freeze up here at 26F......lol
    Barnes

Quote Originally Posted by 126barnes View Post
    What?....................Water don't even freeze up here at 26F......lol
    As long as the water is moving in the streams it doesn't freeze. The water is also much warmer than the air temps. Many streams are spring feed and the springs dump into the streams at substaintially higher than air temps. It did freeze up my guides on the fly rod and make casting a pain indeed though until the air temps were above freezing.

+ Reply to Thread