+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What an Honor

Bravo John. For someone who was trying out some new flies, and new techniques, you sure pulled off some nice fish. I've really enjoyed following your trips. And, I think you're right on the other flies being a bit small for this water. But, next spring, some of your spring creeks will be ready again ...

Thanks for the great reports.

- Jeff

John: wow... very pretty fish, are they considered big for where you are fishing?

Jeff: very beautifully tied flies! i'll definately tie up some for my trip to New Zealand in December(flying into auckland)! would it be safe to assume that these would be extremely effective in the Auckland/taupo area?
    Last edited by freshwaterpirate; 10-17-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by freshwaterpirate View Post
    John: wow... very pretty fish, are they considered big for where you are fishing?
    You have a PM.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 10-17-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    The fish are always right.

Hi Freshwaterpirate,

I tend to fish the smaller streams. However, I've done pretty well in lakes with flies not much bigger than these. I rarely fish anything on a hook larger than a size 10 2x length shank (so, about size 8 I guess). However, in NZ larger flies are commonly fished in the lakes and some of the big water rivers (like the big rivers in Taupo). John's done pretty well in some larger rivers with them, but he also knows those rivers really well. His reports have demonstrated how knowing the river is really important.

As for the patterns involed, you won't find many of these in the fly shops, and those that you do will be in larger sizes. The patterns in the shops will serve you well though. If you tie your own, and if you plan to fish the Tongariro (which I can't spell I'm afraid, but I think it's right now?), then you could tie some of these up on larger hooks; say size 8s or even 6s, and I think they would do you really well.

Nymphing is by far the most popular way to fish here. It often involves throwing some very very heavy nymphs, with a smaller one attached. Streamer fishing (called lure fishing here), on a full sinking line, is probably the next most popular though.

- Jeff
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 10-20-2008 at 01:16 AM. Reason: correct? spelling of Tongariro

+ Reply to Thread