+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage ZXL?

Default Sage ZXL?

Has anybody had any experience with this rod? I just noticed it on the website as it had been updated. Is this a replacement for the discontinued SLT? If so, how similar would it be? I was considering buying an SLT 9' 8 wt., so would it be worth looking into this rod instead?

hutjensmpg Guest

It did indeed replace the SLT. I haven't heard too many people that were excited over it, thinking that it represented a price increase over the SLT, but not much else. I still see new SLT's on closeout here and there, so if that's what you're looking for it's probably a better deal.

Yes it replaced the SLT. I built ZXL 4 pc. 3 wt. Fun rod to fish!

I have the ZXL in the 490-4 configuration. I just got back from a 5 day camping/fishing trip in the Sierras. It was my primary rod for the 3 days I fished. The ZXL is very similar to my SLT with an ever so slightly faster action in my opinion for better wind cutting.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Thanks for the info. It seems like the ZXL is the rod i was looking for then. Tyronefly, i like the idea that it is a slightly faster action rod. That would be ideal for most of my fishing situations.

Quote Originally Posted by logan1193 View Post
    Thanks for the info. It seems like the ZXL is the rod i was looking for then. Tyronefly, i like the idea that it is a slightly faster action rod. That would be ideal for most of my fishing situations.
    I think you will like the rod very much, but by all means test cast the rod before you buy.

I will add that I found the ZXL to be an exceptional short cast performer. Medium casts are a breeze and longer casts are less work than the SLT.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

7. Default

not sure if you were set on a 8 weight, but the ZXL is not offered past a 6 weight

That does complicate things a little. I was looking for an 8 wt.

I did not realize that the ZXL is not offered past a 6 wt. Sorry if I got your hopes up.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Not a problem. I was planning to buy this rod for next season anyway, so I'll have lots of time to look around. I guess i'll be trying to find an SLT then lol.

+ Reply to Thread