+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying used rods

Default Buying used rods

Hi Group,

A suggestion was made in another thread that a good way to save a few bucks on a rod purchase is to buy a used one. What do the sages out there know about examining a rod for defects? Are all problems (micro-fractures from flies hitting the rod, stress fractures, etc.) visible? What other things should one look for? What about buying used rods unseen (eBay)? Thanks.

Bob

------------------
    "Man has an inexhaustible ability to beshit his environment, with politicians well in the lead"...Jim Harrison

I have bought several rods and reels from a variety of sites including ff boards like this one and Ebay. Some of the rods have been new with the plastic still on the grip. Some shops are using Ebay to move discontinued or slower moving inventory or to raise cash quickly during the slow time of year.

I do watch the age and condition carefully and do not hesitate to write the seller and ask about the rod's usage and condition. An older rod, fished frequently will show grip wear even in photographs.

As an example, I recently purchased a St. Croix Legend Elite 6 wt 5 pc travel rod that the seller claimed was used for 1 trip. Yep, it was new when I got it. The price I paid was less than half.

Be careful and try to confirm it is a reputable seller. If it doesn't sound right...it probably isn't. Don't buy if you have any doubts at all!

I know that at least 3 of nearby fly shops are moving inventory through Ebay.

If you can look over before buying
    Check the fit of the ferrules and make sure they are not to loose. Look for wear or rust on the guides. Run your hand down the rod and feel for rough spots. Test cast it if possible, you might want to bring your own reel and fly line to fit the rod weight. Do not worry about the cork being discolored and do not believe a clean cork handle means its had little use. Its to easy to clean up the cork.

On line.
    Ask questions or the seller about the rod. Do make sure the seller is well represented at the place he or she is selling. If possible set a couple day return option if it does not meet the sellers description to be returned. I have found so far all of mine have been better then described. Get a rod from a good quality maker.

I have bought all but one of my current rods used. All were at least half off of retail. Some were old glass rods and some still had the plastic on the grip and all the tags still on the rod. Only trouble I have ever had was one that the ferrules were loose on one bought on line and it broke after a half year of use. But it was from a name brand company who replaced it for a small fee since it had come with a warranty card with it that the original user still had after the many years he used it.

+ Reply to Thread