+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bamboo rod selection

Default bamboo rod selection

I'm a little stuck as to what "boo"rod to buy.I fish small heavily bushed streams that require short,accurate casts.I was thinking along the lines of a 7 ft for a # 4 line.I've heard good things about John Channers rods,anyone used them?Any help with length/weight?

I think you're on the right track. I fish similar venues with a 7' 2/2 4wt quad, and with a 6'6" 3/2 4/5wt. Both work fine.

Hi,

The length and weight sound good to me. I've used a Garrison taper (193) 6ft 9 inch 3/4 wt.

Kat

Thanks Guys!

Two words......

Mike Clark

If you can wait, and have a bunch of money in about 3 years, you will NOT be disapointed.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

I was in the same pickle about a year ago and decided to go with the 7' 4-wt. After talking to a bunch of folks and trying a lot of different rods I finally came to the realization that if you only can get on cane trout rod, the 7' 4-wt is a good all-around model. Would be perfect for the fishing you described.

On the subject of makers, I talked to Ed Engle (author of splitting cane) and he turned me on to his favorite maker, Homer Jennings. You can get a Homer Jennings rod for about $1,100 and only have to wait a little over a year for delivery (as of last year). You can buy 3 Jennings rods for the cost of a Clark, Morgan, or high-end Kusse rod. Homer is one of the most under-rated rod makers around. I'm expecting delivery on a 7' 4-wt in the next couple months, I have checked out this model and it's really nice. The rods have a progressive feel them, fishing tools meant to be used and not hung on the wall. Cosmetics are gorgeous, he makes his own wood spacers, and the varnish is perfect. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met to boot, very humble - although he could charge 3 times as much as he gets, he doesn't because he doesn't think it would be ethical. Homer is in Colorado Springs, if you need his contact information let me know I can send it. I have a feeling that when I get my rod from him I'll be sending a deposit for another one!

Good luck no matter which way you go,

-John

[This message has been edited by ktokj (edited 21 October 2005).]

One of the finest 7' 4wts is the Payne 97. Cost about the same as a car new, but there are many contemporary makers that produce excellent clones. I have owned a Mike Brooks Payne 97 for the last two years and it is outstanding. It is also impregnated so it requires very little TLC.

David

Mr Channer is a fine man to deal with. I have 3 of his rods, all are flawlessly finished - he is a fine craftsman. Any problems John and I have had and there have been few and if I must say, my fault, were handled cheerfully.

personally, I'd love a winston 'boo.

$1800 is not a bad price to pay for something you'll own and enjoy the rest of your life.

and it's a winston.

mgj

[This message has been edited by mikeytwoshoes (edited 21 October 2005).]

I don't know guys, a rod made from dried up old grass? No one in his (or her) right mind would spend all that money on such a thing. It's just silly. And besides, I can't afford one.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread