+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measuring Cast Distance

Question Measuring Cast Distance

I'm confused about how to estimate the length of a cast since I've heard several different methods . Is the cast distance measured:
    1.) From where the caster is standing to where the fly lands?
    2.) From where the caster is standing to the end of the fly line (i.e., ignore the leader/tippet)?
    3.) From the tip of the fly rod to the end of the fly line (again, ignore the leader/tippet)?

Assume a 9 foot leader/tippet and a 9 foot fly rod and 40 feet of fly line pulled from the reel. Depending on the method used, the cast may be said to be anywhere from 31 to 49 feet. Your opinions on which method is the standard one to use? (I suspect sometimes comparisons are made between casts that are not accurate--uh, the comparisons, not the casts.)

Thanks for your input.

GGH

From number 1

From your feet to the fly, so a 100' cast can be done with 80' of line out of the tip. 12' leader, 9' rod 80' of line together equal a 101' cast
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Wow,
    I never really thought about that before. I agree, it seems logical that the distance would be from where my flat feet are planted to where the fly comes crashing down to the water.

I rarely need to cast more than 50' when I fish. Most of my casts are under 20'.

I always start close in and work my way out farther. When I get out much past 40' or so, I move and start over again.

I know there are waters out there where longer casts are required but here in Kentucky (I fish KY, IN, OH, and TN) mainly, 50' is all one really needs in most of the lakes and streams.

Once in a while, I'll see how far I can chuck one but honestly, 90%+ of the fish I catch are inside of 30'.

When I used to be really into deer hunting, it was nice to know I could hit a paper plate at 500 yards, but all of the deer I shot were inside of 75 yards.

Jeff

Sometimes I cast 80 feet out into the ocean for salmon. The only time I cast 100 feet is for fun. It is, ya know; fun.

Smile Ya, I know...

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Sometimes I cast 80 feet out into the ocean for salmon. The only time I cast 100 feet is for fun. It is, ya know; fun.
    JC, that kid of mine in your Readers Cast this week, does the same thing. Whenever we get out on the grass (every time he's home from "kollege") he rips out a bail of line on the ground and goes for the gold!

I'm always telling him to knock it off. He just grins..."It's fun dad!"

_amn kids....

Jeremy (P.S. Nice job on condensing that (rather longish) bit of writing BTW. Thank you.)

Hi All;

Thanks for instantly extending my cast by 16 feet!

I always counted just the fly line!

Wayneb

I think I'm going to go out and put on a longer leader

I let the fish do the counting ....
    The fish are always right.

I'm with John. I measure from where I'm standing to where the fish took the fly. Much easier with a dry fly, by the way.

+ Reply to Thread