+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof digitals?

I have the Pentax Optio 30 also....great all around camera. Easy to use and easy to carry... I stuck it under water for a few photos just to try it out and it worked fine...
    Bill

I have the Optio 30 and really enjoy it. It is a good feeling to know that I do not need to worry about my camera when I get caught in a rain shower, fall in, etc. I feel it takes good pictures for my needs and if my memory serves me right, I paid $245 for it and it came with the battery charger and software CD. I purchased a 1GB card for it and that stores all that I need.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking You guys must be psychic!

I would swear that some of the FAOL members must be psychic. I've been looking for a waterproof (resistant) digital camera for a while now so that I don't have to bag my Nixon Coolpix in a Ziploc bag every time I take it fishing. Thank you for the evaluations. This has been very helpful 8T

I have a GzOne phone from Verizon. Absolutely waterproof! Even can take photos and video under water (done it). It's camera is only 2 megapixel and that is "adequate". I high recommend the phone for being water proof. The camera is just a plus but no substitute for a 'real' camera.

This was taken with the phone's camera:

Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

nighthawk Guest

The Pentax and Olympus cameras are top notch. You cannot go wrong with either one. If you are going to buy online I highly recommend Cameta Camera on ebay. Just click the link to their ebay store. You can order online or by phone.

http://secure.cameta.com/index.cfm

Mikey tipped me off on them and that is where I now buy all of my photography gear online. They are a real brick and mortar store with outstanding customer service. There are some cheaper but none better in my opinion. Bought my Pentax K-110D DSLR off of them and have never looked back.

6. Default another long time Pentax user here...

Something that hasn't been mentioned here is that you can buy the older models on eBay as refurbs. I spent 40% of what a new Pentax cost(forget the actual model # to be honest) and found it to be absolutey reliable and waterproof. It's been dropped into the wash many times.

Some don't like the idea but it's treated me VERY well.......and you can't argue the price. Use a reputable seller, no worries....

Quote Originally Posted by LigonierA1 View Post
    Something that hasn't been mentioned here is that you can buy the older models on eBay as refurbs. I spent 40% of what a new Pentax cost(forget the actual model # to be honest) and found it to be absolutey reliable and waterproof. It's been dropped into the wash many times.

Some don't like the idea but it's treated me VERY well.......and you can't argue the price. Use a reputable seller, no worries....
    Actually, my first digital camera was a Sony Mavica purchased as a "refurb" at the (now sadly closed) Sony Outlet Store in Grove City, PA....Eric, Amy & I have spent some time together there! As mentioned, refurbs purchased from a solid seller can be one HECK of a bargain. I never had a problem with mine.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Panfisha -
    I believe there are only two waterproof digital cameras on the market, at least in the affordable range - the Pentax Optio series and the Olympus SW series.
    those are 2 major brands that make waterproof digital cameras, but theres more. they are lesser known brands such as:

ricoh
    vivitar
    sealife
    gopro
    intova
    sanyo xacti (waterproof camcorder)

in addition, any digital camera can be made waterproof by putting it in an aquapaq plastic bag and even the major brand digital slr's have plastic cases that make them waterproof.

Default Pentax Optio

Pentax just released a new model the Optio W60 which has a few new features. I have some friends who have the W40 and are very happy with it.

I bought the Optio 30 at around the same time as my mate bought an Olympus, and they are both terrific. I was able to get mine quite a bit cheaper than the Olympus was so that made my mind. Having used both, I think the Optio is a lot less complicated to operate... but whether that is because I am more familiar with it - maybe. My kids and wife keep knocking it off and using it, it is very easy.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

+ Reply to Thread