+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anti virus program

Normand Guest

Default anti virus program

anybody have a recommendation??

i currently use norton 360 and i'm looking for something different/better.

free or buy doesnt matter.

Blog Entries

I use avast (its free). I haven't had an infection, but it has caught a few before it made it into my machine. I also use firefox and adaware and stay pretty clean for the most part.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I like McAfee, it is seamless, doesn't take up as much room on my computer as Norton. I also purchased Spy Sweeper, but the truth is that McAfee has caught almost everything that Spy Sweeper gets, but I like the redundancy. Check out this link:

This was done in April of 08: http://reviews.cnet.com/1990-6600_7-...rColumnArea1.1

Rick

I've been using AVG Free Anti virus for a few years now. I really like it. I took off Norton in favor of it. Norton slowed may computer to a snails crawl. AVG doesn't do that.

http://free.avg.com/ww.download-avg-...s-free-edition
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Blog Entries

I use Norton. Which, after what Mato said, might explain my puter's slowness these days. I tried AVG and it messed up my puter beyond belief, so it left in a hurry.

Any of the commercial programs should work just fine. I hesitate to use off-brand software because I stongly suspect that the people who wrote it spend their off hours in Kazakhstan hacking into people's puters through the software they got you to buy, or install for free. Nothing is free.

We had Norton on our last computer and it was just fine, except it was a bit pricey.

On our current computer, we've been using AVG Free since day one. No problems at all. We do have anti-virus protection and a firewall from our ISP also, which may make AVG seem better than it really is on its own ??
    The fish are always right.

I use Norton. I once tried McAffee but found that once it's on a computer, it's impossible to get off unless you completely wipe the hard drive. I also had a computer at work that McAffee effecitvely 'killed' but it was a special case in that it didn't get along well with the software. I haven't gone near it since then. There's a number of good programs out there, several of which are mentioned here.

TxEngr

Normand,

I use CA ETrust antivirus. CA (Computer Associates) isn't as well known as Norton or McAffee, but they are a major computer software company and the software is excellent. It uses about 1/4 as much system resources as Norton, and is just as effective.

I've used Avast, AVG and others and for my money ETrust is the best. It is priced at $49.99 for up to 5 systems so if you have multiple computers in your house you only have to buy one copy (whereas with other companies, Norton included, it is $49.99 or more per system).

If you are running Windows Vista with SP1 I would avoid AVG Free as there is a bug which makes it impossible to print from Internet Explorer (not an issue if you don't use IE however). I have heard (though I have no personal experience) that AVG Full (the pay version) does not have this bug.

Just my professional opinion (and yes I can claim that).

Brian
    MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) Windows Server 2003
    Last edited by Brian Moffitt; 09-05-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typos

Norton sucks! Normand, Here is my new Virus program that I get free from my Internet provider;http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

AVG and won't ever use anything else ever again!!
    Wyo-Blizzard

+ Reply to Thread