+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does Anyone Fish The Poconos???

AC01:

My go-to bugger is olive with a black cone head tied on a size 8 TMC 5263. I also have a friend who swears by a Mickey Finn for the Mc Michael's and Brodhead.

Adding science to the equation; the Isonychias come off at this time of the year and with higher water levels it may mean more nymphs in the water as opposed to on the rocks where they often emerge. A size 12-14 2-3XL medium dark brown nymph is a suitable imitation; maybe a bead head.

Like I recommended before; stop at Dunkelberger's which will be a block from your hotel on Main & 6th Street. I was there this past week and Don Baylor does still work there. If he's around he can give you suggestions for patterns.

Finally if you have no aversion to panfish, bass and an occasional holdover trout; if all else fails and the streams are still really blown out I can direct you to a medium size pond about 2.5 miles from your hotel. If nothing else you may catch a few fish without drowning.

I'm an hour away from Stroudsburg so afternoons can be tricky but if the water goes down considerably I may use it as an excuse to go fishing one day, all day next week. If I do maybe we can hook up.

I sent you an e-mail.

AC01
    You may want to bring ( or buy ) some
    "October caddis" in size 8-10 too. Analogbob told you about the area flyshops. A friend of mine who fishes there more than I, told me that one is a "must have" on the Broadhead. Do a search on FAOL for October caddis, - a large rusty-bodied Elk hair works.

Go with a buggers anywhere from size 12 to 8. In high, dirty water, I like, purple, yellow, white, and even pink. Coneheads are best and I always make sure they have some flash in them. Use your 5X tippets, the rod will be just perfect.

Finally, I just want to thank all of you for the input you have given. Also, I have received a few emails that indicate some of the FAOL brethren might be joining me on the Pocono waters in and around Stroudsburg. I would like to invite anyone else who wishes to do a little fishing to contact me. My email is in my profile. Thanks again so very much!!

AC01

+ Reply to Thread