+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Local Fly Shops

I had two store that sell fly fishing equipment and supplies in my area and one of them (it sells all types of sporting goods) seems to be reducing its fly fishing department.
    I always buy from local stores when I can. Even though the on-line guys are cheaper, you lose out on the really high shipping costs.
    At one place, I paid almost $6 shipping and the supplies where sent by USPS for a cost of $1.29. Go figure.
    Also, for most of my stuff I want to see and get a feel for what I am buying. Since I am new to fly fishing, this is very important to me and the advice I get at a fly ship is critical.
    I think fly fishing will be with us forever, but times have been tough the last few years. People don't spend the way they used to, so a store has to be managed properly to be successful.

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives
    without knowing that it is not fish they
    are after.

Henry David Thoreau

I'm with Josko. I'd rather buy my stuff on the 'Net or through mail order. I can look through a catalog on my time and choose what I need. Then I can order, without ever having to set foot in a shop.

One thing that aggravates me is going into a shop and not being able to find what I want. I don't have this problem with mail order. And I don't have to listen to any sales personnel and their pitches.

Dot Man: Bamboozle,I am not sure if you know this or not, but there is going to be a fly shop at the Eyler's location.
    Jerry: Yes I am aware of the change of ownership but unfortunately for me it doesn't resolve any of the problems I currently have with my local fly shops.

There was a "Local" Flyshop near where I'll soon be again!!!....was Penns Creek Flyshop to be spcific..was'nt anything but Fly-Fishing...Loved it,spent wads of cash there very regularly....when it closed without any notice ....I did as I do now...I buy what i can...where I can...for the lowest possible price I can....If I get to a shop....I'll buy there....but If it intails a special trip and lots of planning...with gas being at such a premium....It's catalog time...Theres a great shop here as well..And speaking of which..I'd like to visit it once more before I leave...for a certian type of spinner blade I've only been able to find in Rahoeth Beach DE....and I'm not making that trip solely for this....lol...There is a local sporting goods shop that carries a half decent supply of ffing stuff...but it's just not the same.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

bill, which shop in rehobeth? i get there on occasion.

btw is that your birthday in your icq # location?

------------------
    --------
    roger
    princess anne, eastern shore of md.
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

+ Reply to Thread