+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Local Fly Shops

Yet again, some of us just wish they had a fly shop within a 100 mile drive of their house! So what do I do? I go to the local bait shop and order everything that I need from my favorite shop owner Jim at Iowa Outdoors. This guy is the greatest he practically gives everything at the lowest price possible and doesn't give a darn about making a dime off anybody, he just loves to fish!

Anybody out their that knows the business well enough to chime in on where the money is really made in the local shops? As I said, I just can't see myself dedicating all my shopping to one store, it's to much fun to check out all of the various goodies that are carried at different stores either in person or online. I do try to support my local shops as I value the service they provide. I would like to spend my money there in a way that provides them the greatest benefit. So, should I buy rods, reels, tying materials, waders, clothes, etc from my local store? Where are they really making money? I do go to them for tying lessons/classes when they are offered and I try to go any trips they sponsor when I can. What else could I/we do to help they keep things going?

I can only speak from the experience of our local shop, Jorgensens, which is closing the first of the year after 29 years. Now first I'll say that the shop isn't closing because of financial problems. Many more things going on than that. But as an example of how a local fly shop should operate and be supported by the local community.

This store was the only fly fishing shop in the area. By area I'm talking about 70 miles to the nearest shop, which is a weak example. Jorgensens was sort of the ultimate fly shop. Very well stocked with top line equipment, run for 29 years by a very knowledgable manager. Jorgensens took their role in the fly fishing community very seriously. They offered fly tying classes from beginner through advanced and Atlantic Salmon flies. Also Rod building classes. They also supported our local club Three Rivers Fly Fishers to the very utmost. We held our Board meetings at the shop each month. In return for this sort of business the shop was supported very loyaly by the fly fishing community for many miles around. Yes, the internet had some impact on their business, but they were still viable. Every time you walked into that shop, no matter if you were a regular or first timer, you could expect to be given the very best customer service you will ever get anywhere.

So after that rambling, what do we glean? Customer service, first foremost and always. Along with an involvement in the local fly fishing community through support of local clubs and events, and an offering of services above and beyond just selling tackle and flies. In other words committment! I firmly believe that if you open a fly shop and offer those things, going the extra mile to make sure that your customers know they are valued each time they walk in the door, you will be successful.

Now of course there are those variables that go along with opening any businees anywhere in the country. Open a fly shop where there is stiff competition, an exceptionally small community of fly fishers, no club, etc. etc. and you will probably not make it.

What should we, the fly fishers of a community be doing to support our local shops?? Get involved.. Take those tying classes and rod building classes they offer. Attend the clinics they sponsor. Stop in frequently, even if not buying, just to show support and become "connected" with whats going on in your fly fishing community. Sure support them with your dollars. I will confess that I've bought stuff off the internet, but I've bought a whole lot more from the local shop. Not just the big ticket items either.. Buy your tying stuff there. Those $3-$5 sales can make a huge difference in the total sales of a shop.

That's just my opinion..

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

4. Default

since i don't tie my own, i'll buy all my flys from the local shops. i'll buy everything i can from local shops and stop by my main shop to chat up techniques, flys, spots, etc. they're always willing to give a newb a dose of good info.

------------------
    take him fishing

In Green Bay we are losing 2 of the 3 shops in town.

I sure wish I knew what could be done to keep them open. I always thought that the market was too small for three shops, but I would not have guessed we would lose 2 of them.

-ST
    [url=http://www.FlyFishingWis.com:5e5f0]www.FlyFishingWis.com[/url:5e5f0]

[This message has been edited by Sir_Trout (edited 13 October 2005).]

I use my local shop for just about everything, flies, rod building materials, waders, information - I also send anyone that asks about fly fishing stuff there. I have learned more from standing around listening to the "old timers" tell their tales, explain how to's, and where the fish hide then you will ever get out of a book or off the internet. They are valuable resource to our sport.
    Pete

Rick,

I'm not in the business but I'll give your question a stab. If you're talking just about the fly fishing equipment and supplies, I'm guessing that wholesale price is 60% of retail price. So do the math. A shop would make the same amount selling 200 flies @ $1.50 each, as it would 1 rod @ $300, a pair of waders @ $300, or $300 worth of anything.

Which sale and volume of sale is more likely? I'll leave that to the marketeers and the guys who do surveys.

Allan

Allan,
    I can only go by some of the discounts I get and know that they are still making money. 40, 50 and even 60 percent on certain items. Flies depend on being local or imported. Mary Dette for instance pays her tyers $1 per fly where as imported shops that sell imported flies buy them for $3 a dozen. Clothing...a lot of it is made in China...even for some of the 'classy' type stores...That can be a very big markup. Guide price on a $600 rod is about $200 and I am guessing they are not losing money on it.
    I'll tell you what though, I trust the mark up on FF gear a lot more than I do on gas.
    Of course I pay full price a lot of times too. I can't remember many fishing trips when I didn't drop a fifty or at least a twenty more at the local shop. With a few exceptions I didn't really need the stuff.

Blog Entries

What caused all the hardware stores to dissapear? Now after wanting to buy 7 bolts that come in packets of 6 only, you wind up with 12(5 you either dont need or get lost before you need them again)....is everybody happy? ...PS. dont ask the attendant for anything out of the ordinary either.
    For the old hands, the fly shop is warm and fuzzy for the most part. For the newbie(the future of the sport) the internet or the wallmart is the way to go in their minds. Hence> I recall an old post criticizing Orvis for selling rods at wall mart. Was that smart on their behalf with this new trend in buying? IMO like it or not, supporting your local fly shop may work for awhile but only delay the inevitable if todays inpersonal buying trends continues.

This question has been asked for years about differnt owner operated business'es from the neghberhood grocer the small gun shop and now the local fly shop. the facts are most fly shops are less than 20 years old some less than 5 most are run by fisherman and guides NOT Business folks. and most will go away. If you people haven't noticed the blomm is off the rose and ain't never coming back.Young people arn't starting and will never start And we have most of our stuff. in ten years I predict that the average age of a fly fisher will be 60. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am and there is nothing we can do about it. AND I AM JUST FINE WITH THAT.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread